Thread: Nurses prescription orders or decisions

Nurses prescription orders or decisions

Can Nurses actually make prescription orders? or decisions without a doctor?

Share your views

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    What do YOU think? Think APN's.

Not an APN yet but in many if not most states, Nurse Practitioners have prescriptive and diagnostic priviledges and can function independently in private practice.

I work as a physician's private nurse. I do it on a daily basis for her. I've been with her long enough that she trust my judgement. I would never order narcotics or such without her knowing, but normal routine stuff--well she likes it that I dont bother her with it and has said so. But I don't think that is what you are asking.

I work a level 2 trauma center. Make decisions all the time. And there are times I tell the doctors what to do. If they are smart they listen. Or I hang them out to dry. Ive done that.

I guess my response did not make it in here. I work in a Level 2 trauma unit. I make decisions all the time. I act on those decisions. I even tell doctors what to do and they listen. If they done listen then I have been known to hang them out to dry

I would never order narcotics or such without her knowing, but normal routine stuff--well she likes it that I dont bother her with it and has said so.

Quote Originally Posted by WitchyPoo View Post
    I work as a physician's private nurse. I do it on a daily basis for her. I've been with her long enough that she trust my judgement. I would never order narcotics or such without her knowing, but normal routine stuff--well she likes it that I dont bother her with it and has said so. But I don't think that is what you are asking.
    You write out prescriptions so as to not bother the physician about drug orders? She likes it when you do this? What is "normal" or "routine" for you?

I find it seriously scary first that you do this and second that the doctor is okay with her office nurse managing her patients' prescriptions for her. She can't be THAT busy.

Disgusted.
    Last edited by Ricu; 11-01-2011 at 03:40 PM.