Hello All! I am new to the forum, great place by the way, it's awesome to see nurses supporting each other.

My question is this, can the loss of a nursing license cause you not to be able to obtain a professional license in another area? I ask because I decided to give up on nursing and go back to school to get a teaching degree, and when looking over the licensing app, I saw where it asks if you've ever been disciplined, lost, surrendered another professional license! Is this going to haunt me forever? One mistake, based on the disease of addiction, and now am I to pay for this mistake for the rest of my life? It seems so unfair.

I, like many of you, had an addiction to opiates. I self-reported to the board and after losing my job could not afford to comply with the boards demands, so I decided it was probably better to just surrender my license. It's been more than five years since it happened and after much sould searching, I decided not to reapply for my RN license, well, that and I moved across the country and didn't really know how to proceed...should I apply in my original state, new state? Would I have to start all over with the whole probation and restrictions? It just seemed like to much to deal with, so I decided to go back to school to teach, which is what I always wanted to do anyway.

So, if anyone can provide me with any insight, I am more than appreciative of any info you may have!

Thanks!