Thread: Will Losing my Nursing license effect ability to obtain other professional licensure?

Will Losing my Nursing license effect ability to obtain other professional licensure?

Hello All! I am new to the forum, great place by the way, it's awesome to see nurses supporting each other.

My question is this, can the loss of a nursing license cause you not to be able to obtain a professional license in another area? I ask because I decided to give up on nursing and go back to school to get a teaching degree, and when looking over the licensing app, I saw where it asks if you've ever been disciplined, lost, surrendered another professional license! Is this going to haunt me forever? One mistake, based on the disease of addiction, and now am I to pay for this mistake for the rest of my life? It seems so unfair.

I, like many of you, had an addiction to opiates. I self-reported to the board and after losing my job could not afford to comply with the boards demands, so I decided it was probably better to just surrender my license. It's been more than five years since it happened and after much sould searching, I decided not to reapply for my RN license, well, that and I moved across the country and didn't really know how to proceed...should I apply in my original state, new state? Would I have to start all over with the whole probation and restrictions? It just seemed like to much to deal with, so I decided to go back to school to teach, which is what I always wanted to do anyway.

So, if anyone can provide me with any insight, I am more than appreciative of any info you may have!

Thanks!

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    Welcome to the site - I'm not sure how losing your license will effect your obtaining a professional license in another field. I do know that most professional licensing includes a background check so if your situation included a misdemeanor or felony conviction you will likely have issues.

Have you had any treatment? Are you currently sober? Are actively working a program of recovery with NA?

If you can answer yes to any or all of the above you need to include that info with your application. Depending on the state you are in reinstating your nursing license will involve a considerable amount of hoop jumping. The best thing if you can is to consult a lawyer with experience in these matters and decide how best to proceed. You may be able to get a probationary license but would likely be required to attend 12-step meetings and submit to random UDS for a period of time. None of this should be a problem if you answered yes to my three questions. If you are in California PM me as I can help you with the requirements of that state. I was in the California Diversion Program for 4 and 1/2 years. I have been sober for 7 years and have a job in Nursing that I love. The past is sort of like a bad dream - but not all bad as that experience saved my life.

Contact me if you want

Hppy

Hi,
    Im considering surrendering my license not due to financial hardship, but im not sure my license is worth all the hoop jumping. Im considering another career and would like to become an attorney. did you ever find an answer to your question can the board stop you from pursuing other careers?

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    If you license ii unencumbered why surrender it? You can pursue another professional license without surrendering the one you have. I have a couple of friends who are both RN and Attorneys. All state boards and the BAR Association will run a background check prior to issuing you a license so if you are trying to hide something ( I'm not saying your are) by surrending your license chances are you will get caught.

hppy

I didn't fully explain they have ordered me to complete two years of probation. Im not sure completing the probation is worth it to me, because I don't want to be a nurse anymore. The probation process is a mess my two years doesn't start until I find a job, and I don't want to deal with this mess anymore. I'm ready to throw in the towel and do something else. I have always wanted to be an attorney,but am not sure I can do this if I surrender my license. I was wondering how the teaching career turned out for you?

I relapsed after 8 years of sobriety. Three months after taking that first drink I've received my third DUI. I had two previous 11yeArs ago before becoming a nurse. I'm back in my AA program and attending 3-4meetings per week. Will hire a lawyer before I self report. Can anyone give me any advice? Thanks

There will most certainly be action taken against you by the board @ startingover. I'm sorry to hear abojt your dilemms it sickens me deeo in my stomach. I too am a victim of the disease of addiction, and my license was revoked. I get so many different ooinions. One being that after the 5 year period is over to hire a lawyer and I could prob get back. But I'm also so scared, my case had a lot of twists and turn one of them being shady ass nurses (haters) who tried to get me in trouble, as if I wasn't doing a good enough job myself. So what scares me is if I go thru all the shit to get back in all it would take is one shady nurse to call in and say whatever they want and the BON will not be on my side for sure. There are so many scary aspects to going back not sure its worth it.