Thread: It gets better.

Red face It gets better.

I haven't posted in a long time; well over 2 years. But I found this forum incredibly helpful in my early days of entering my state's diversion program. I just happened to stumble across this site again, and want to share my experience.

I now have 9 months left of my state's 5 year program. At first I didn't think I could live life without being under the influence of something. Simple things like going to the grocery store, driving my car all seemed like mountains. Today though, I'm nearing the end of my "sentence".

It's all about getting into a routine...when to go urine test, building life around meetings, being compliant with the nursing board. My license was suspended for the first year. I gradually got priveleges back; first with patient care only, then with non-narcotic meds. It was two years before I got my full priveleges back. It was hard to interview for jobs because a requirement is to tellpotential employers about the diversion program. So I ended up getting a job in a detox where they "understood". I've been there for a little over 2 years.

5 years goes by sooo fast. There have been many life changes - significant changes. There have been alot of ups and downs. But, I've been granted a gift from my state's diversion program. It got me back into recovery (I had 21 years sober before diverting), gave me my life back and helped me to join the human race and live.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Thanks for coming back and sharing your good news with us! Hopefully others will also see that there IS hope out there.

Stop by more often, eh?

Yes thank you for the great news!! I just found this site. I have been in Maximus/diversion for 14 months almost 15. I got a DUI for sitting in the driver's seat with the keys in the car. I do thank you for your encouraging words.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rnski View Post
    Yes thank you for the great news!! I just found this site. I have been in Maximus/diversion for 14 months almost 15. I got a DUI for sitting in the driver's seat with the keys in the car. I do thank you for your encouraging words.
    Welcome and yes it does get better - remember to be totally honest in all your affairs. No excuses with regard to your use history. Do what they tell you even when it seems unreasonable and look atthe stickies on this site for what not to eat or drink that might cause false positive drug/alcohol tests.

Peace and namaste

Hppy