Thread: Illnesses and/or injuries in sports, especially on collegiate and pro sports level

Illnesses and/or injuries in sports, especially on collegiate and pro sports level

Are there others on here that are coming to this conclusion as like me?

Really started to think about during this past year. Especially, with the number of players with concussions (head injuries) and post concussion syndrome.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    I say the players are too bilked out. Used to be far and few between the ones like 'The Fridge'. Now, they are ALL too heavy/bulked out.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    I say the players are too bilked out. Used to be far and few between the ones like 'The Fridge'. Now, they are ALL too heavy/bulked out.
    Thanx and um interesting response that you have here.

I find it amazing that there are still so many players out there, pro, semipro, college and peewee, on the field who've had serious concussions with so much credible data out there describing post concussion syndrome and its lifelong consequences. Furthermore, with the new concussive force measuring helmets, "I don't know how hard I was hit" can't be said anymore. Serious injury can occur with a force much lower than most people think- you don't have to be knocked out or even feel dizzy. I fault the coaches, the parents and the players themselves. Football is a game. Period. It just isn't worth it. To the pros- What good are the multimillion dollars if they're spent taking care of you in rehab? The fame will be gone and nobody will remember you.
    Okay, I'l off my soapbox now.

R

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    The way I see thing is fairly simple: an old co-eorker of mine has an 8 year old daughter in CHEERLEADING! We all know that Cheerleading is now a sport. How many have been injured doing tosses and jumps when they are older? Kids are starting sports, whether it is cheering, FB, etc, way earlier than when I was a kid.

I truly say that the players' wt. has alot to do with it, also. Imagine being smacked by a 300 pound guy, then hitting the ground.

Ricu, thank you for your comments!

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    My son is 9 and he does mixed Martial arts. He is not allowed to fight at this level and in fact competition is based on demonstrating proper form as opposed to how hard they hit, Kick or take down someone. His coach stresses how to do these thing with getting hurt or causing serious injury to the other fighter. I don't see that in other sports. The young cheerleaders at my son's school practice on the Tarmack for C's sake. Sports at that age are supposed to be fun, build discipline and start a life time of physical fitness.

Peace

Hppy

Thanx for the latest responses and I'm with what R said below.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricu View Post
    I find it amazing that there are still so many players out there, pro, semipro, college and peewee, on the field who've had serious concussions with so much credible data out there describing post concussion syndrome and its lifelong consequences. Furthermore, with the new concussive force measuring helmets, "I don't know how hard I was hit" can't be said anymore. Serious injury can occur with a force much lower than most people think- you don't have to be knocked out or even feel dizzy. I fault the coaches, the parents and the players themselves. Football is a game. Period. It just isn't worth it. To the pros- What good are the multimillion dollars if they're spent taking care of you in rehab? The fame will be gone and nobody will remember you.
    Okay, I'l off my soapbox now.

R

Hppy, When my kids were in karate, the focus was also on form. When I was a personal trainer, one of the programs I offered was a weight training program specifically geared to young teens. They are so eager to develop and it is entirely possible for them to lift safely but they need to be taught how to do it. Many of them were school athletes and frankly witnessing their no pain-no gain techniques, I got angry thinking about what their coaches were teaching them but was in no position to contradict, only educate. This brings me to the subject of kids and athletics, I wholeheartedly agree that the intensity of training is excessive for growing bodies let alone taking place in unsafe areas- on the Tarmack, really? There are just too many sports related injuries in kids most of which are from overtraining. How many young adults are there out there who have had multiple surgical procedures related to sports injuries and are now living with reduced function and chronic pain? If we can just bring it down a few notches, the games would still be good, skills and teamwork would still be learned- maybe even better, and there would be significantly less injuries.

R