Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ick

As always, the patient comes first, not us. I find it curious the view some have on the board...correct, it is not our safety and best interest they have in mind...it is the safety and best interest of the public, who one should be reminded, is quite possibly one's mother, cousin, grandfather, close friend, etc... I take full responsibility for my erroneous actions; however, I am not capable of deciding the fate of said actions---that ability belongs to someone whose heart and soul has not been defiled by drugs and alcohol. I do not believe that the board is out to get me, per se...they are out to protect the patient...THANK GOD. Obviously my stellar judgement as of late is not what the public needs. As I say this, anyone reading it do not take it personally...they are just my thoughts on this, not a judgement on another's thoughts or opinions. If I had been doing the right thing all along, I would not be in this position. I broke a sacred trust and must earn it back. That's all. I could go on and on about this, but I won't. Bottom line is that the board requires us(addicts and alcoholics) to prove that we are doing what "normal" nurses do everyday---taking care of patients with a clear head, un-impaired by drugs and alcohol. How they chose to make us prove that is, in my opinion, not "picking" on us. We MUST be monitored and checked up on---we did something wrong and no longer have the freedom that trustworthiness allowed. Again, I am not trying to stir the pot here, just wanted to voice my thoughts...k
    Last edited by sasto; 11-16-2011 at 12:24 PM. Reason: clarification of thought

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    So well said,

I always go back to the Big Book to remember that resentment and anger are to root causes of our affliction. If we cannot give up our resentments we are doomed to fail. I never believed that the BON gave a steaming pile of poop about my recovery. That was not the point - I had to surrender to the process let my self-pity, selfish anger and foolish resentment slip way before I could get well. Though I have been sober for 7 years (WOW) I continue to struggle sometimes daily to stay grounded in my recovery. I am humbled daily not only by those who stay sober but also by those who relapse and pull themselves up for another effort at sobriety. They are truely courageous when they never stop trying.

Notions that addicted nurses are somehow some of the best and brightest around are foolhardy assumptions made by people caught up is self delusion. Stay honest my friend and write to me anytime here in public or PM and I will answer.

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SyckRN View Post
    It may comfort you to know that nurses who get caught diverting or find themselves mired in substance abuse are very often the smartest and most dedicated and talented nurses. Research has demonstrated this.
    Please cite any legitimate peer reviewed research to prove this claim.

Sounds a lot like addicted self delusion but I could be wrong - I would love to read you research and be proven wrong.

When I was actively using I too thought I was one of the best and brighest and most dedicated - in fact I was an impaired nurse who put my patients in danger daily by my inability to make sound judgements. Thank goodness the only person who almost died was me!

Peace Out

Hppy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12