Thread: heres a doozy

heres a doozy

this one forum was for venting, right?

ok, I dont give a G&# damn about the fact that the nurse they make in charge of the unit has 40 yrs experience. What I do care about is when I walk into my patients room and she had cranked the sedation up to superhuman amounts because she is scared that he will self-extubate and she doesnt want to get yelled at. But she seems to have no problem with the fact that the BP is now 70/30. And by the by he was fine on the rate it was going.
    she then proceeds to throw a public temper tantrum when i ask her not to touch my drips. she states that she is responsible for all the patients on the unit. I offer to pass the patient on to her then, because I cant be charting a bp of 70/30 and signing my name at the bottom of it when she was the one who precipitated that blood pressure with poor judgement.
    people really need to retire when its time, you know?

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Try this

If it's any comfort to you we've all dealt with these kind of situations. If it's any comfort to you I have patient with down's syndrome and Alzheimer's who routinely walks around with a heart rate of 58 and a BP or 60/40. It's normal for him and the cardiologist justs says to note it and watch for him to be symptomatic.

If she is interefering with your drips you need to go to someone higher up the food chain - but don't really expect anything to change just keep a personal record of all your dealings with this person so you have a back-up if you need to prove a hostile work environment.

Peace

Hppy

You did the right thing...

I would also see the next person in the chain if someone were interfering with my patients in this manner. She is putting you and your patients at risk. Don't allow her to continue doing this.

If the patient was adequately sedated on the current drips, Manager or not, she had no business touching anything. Hopefully you recorded who made the changes so that if it turns out the patient infarcted during that sudden period of hypoperfusion, it won't be on you. Why was she in your room anyway?