Thread: Lazy Old CNA's

Lazy Old CNA's

I work at a physical rehab center near Boston as a cna. It's a good size place. I see alot of diffrent patients. Knee & hip replacement,fluff and buffs, falls,dementia,hospice etc. I like helping people that's why I do this job. I am a 24 year old man who worked as a cook at a assisted living center. I saw alot of bad things there by people who werent even trained nor have there HHA or CNA. Long story short I became a CNA to be better then those people.

The facility I work at now has some 3-6 regulars who arent even trained, they were grandfathered in during the mid 80's. Now there older and have been cna's for sometime. Some act like they know everything. I see new nurses right out of nursing school get the riot acted from these certain cna's and I think to myself whats going on. I'll never forget seeing a new RN thrown out of the room because one of the cna's was helping the patient out of bed. The patient was in her mid 50's dying from brain cancer and all the RN wanted to do was give the patient pain meds. It's early in the morning and one of these cna's will put a patient on a bedpan then walk down the hall and do something else. The light goes off and they make no effort to walk back down the hall and help them off the bed pan. It's little stuff like this that gets under my skin. I know im young and don't know anything (according to them) but I know deep down I am smarter and better then them. I only worked at one place so I don't know if it goes on anywhere else? I think they feel I am a threat to them so they let me work harder then them. I hate feeling like the patient is the one suffering. To the higher ups these certain cna's are royal. So I just go with it and not let them get to me. Just a thought?

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    I have 'been there' at an ALF, where many of the RA's are 'off the streets', and one of them is the LEAD person on 2nd shift!

Re: the nurse getting thrown out of the room? Being an RN, I will NOT let staff dictate to me, unless it is a supervisor, and with good reason. I hope those new nurses grow a spine, so to speak. Then again, some of those staff members have their own little cliques. Trust me, I have seen this.

Keep doing what you are doing, and give the BEST care you can give. It sounds like you are doing that already. Don't think I wouldn't notice it!