Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Thoughts??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Any Thoughts??

I've been travel nursing for the past 5 years and been a nurse along time, have great references etc.... I started a perm job at a place I traveled at before but am on a different floor and at my 90 day review, they extended my probation.. because I was seen by the staff as not approachable and did not ENGAGE with the staff.
    May I add, they did not say anything about my nursing , charting, etc. just that they want me to have OWNERSHIP on the floor,
    They said they don't know anything about me, and I said, I'm here to work and not to gab about my personal life. They did not really like that response.
    Anyway, I was highly insulted. I went to work, and was more approachable and hung out at the nurses station more and DID not talk about my personal life. I don't even know what all this means, never heard it before and I will never sit around talking about my personal life.......... NONE of their business...and it's not Professional. I can't stand listening to all the staffs personal drudgeries, we all have them
    We meet again in a month and this is all nonsense to me.
    Maybe I'll be packing my bags again..................................
    All thoughts welcome.

I think they are trying to tell you that you don't fit in. I would start looking for a place where you will fit in.

That's what i think too. Guess, i'll wait and see in a month.
    Thanks.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Hey K

I was working in a hospital where one of the nurses wanted everybody's private cell phone. e-mail, facebook etc.... I explained the cell phone wasfor family emergencies only as was the e-mail as I don't like to get a lot of spam. As for facebook that's family only as well.

She was very put out and pestered me for weeks - I finally had to go to admin about it. I keep work seperate from my social and family life. It may make me seem stand-offish but so what.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Hppy, good call on the e-mail bit, etc. One of my old employers has cell phones for the 'higher ups'; the phone numbers for employees are stored in them. Obviously, the morons have STILL not gotten around to deleting my home number, as I have gotten 4 calls rom them in 2 months. Oh, and the new DON 'didn't know I no longer work there'. From what I understand, she's the 5th DON in 3 years. Go figure.

Kdog, it's strange that you worked out well on the other floor. Strange. Has there been any change in Admin at all?

There is a balance between being too social and not social enough and we all have to find it for ourselves. I go back to your point about the review having nothing to do with your patient care but rather social concerns with other nurses. I would think the manager would prefer that you focus on work and NOT coffee klatch too much. I agree, look for another place.

Thanks everyone. as I said , I worked here before but on a different floor as a travler nurse and enjoyed it. I don't like this floor or job but don't hate it.
    Anyway, I've made myself easy to approach and do sit at the nurses station at night , before I would sit off in a corner using the computer, And I'm friendlier but in a professional way.
    PS. I'm not a stick in the mud..I've been trained to NOT ENGAGE in personal issues while at work....... Now this place wants just that.
    Thanks everyone...
    STAY TUNED..................... for the follow up eval.........................

Follow up evaluation was good. I'm off probation now.
    I focused on being more available and personable to the staff..without talking about my personal life.
    Games.

Even if the review goes well and you stay there, it doesn't seem to be a good fit for you. My guess is that you would be happier working somewhere else.

R

RICU,
    I agree 100% with you, I don't like the job and was hoping for another floor. Have been looking for other opportunites in New England but market is still tight. So, I have to hang in there for now and try to be positvie and fit in. NO other choice right now.
    Thanks for responding, I respect your opinion and help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast