Thread: New here with a few questions!

New here with a few questions!

Hey everyone,

Let me just give you a brief background on myself. I'm a twenty two year old male, been an EMT in Massachusetts for going on three years now and looking for work that's stationary and has flexibility of schedule (second and third shift). I love the medical field and intend on going to school for my RN or for occupational therapy assisting. That was exhausting

Anyways, I'm coming here hoping some CNAs can shed some light on males in the field (benefits, downfalls etc) and whether or not they think getting my CNA would be a smart decision to help my future and career. I like my EMT work that I do for my local fire department but full time is not an option there right now...and most private services do transports from point A and B, which is not my interest.

Thanks!

Well, getting a CNA certificate would open up more job opportunities and could assist you in the application process for RN school. Do not see where it would hurt. Good luck.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    The nursing field is wide open.

Of course, it used to be that men were more likely to be considered doctors! From other posts I have read, male patients would probably be more comfortable around another guy.

Have heard that many nursing schools 'suggest' one get their CNA before first clinicals. Honestly, it's a good practice, as you'll see things from other points of view. Plus, as I mentioned, male patients would benefit from you being around.

Win/win thus far.
    Last edited by cougarnurse; 01-19-2012 at 10:50 AM.

I work for our local community college & in order to get into the associate nursing program here you must have taken the 75 hr cna course & passed & have taken the state competency tests prior to acceptance in to the program. They also have prerequisites such as medical terminology, A & P, microbiology etc that must be completed. If you are interested in a nursing program check with the school to see what is required. Unfortunately, many schools have waiting lists but that time would be served getting those prerequisites out of the way. Also, I have worked with many male nurses, taught male cna's & have taken classes with male peers. I think your experience as an EMT as well as you being a male can offer a diverse & personal perspective to the field. Good luck!