Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 14 yr RN needs career change suggestions...

Clinical nurse supervisor for a home health agency. Do supervisory visits, small amount of involvement with supervising LPNs, CNAs/HHAs, mostly paperwork, which could be impacted by use of PDA or computer. Your biggest physical requirement would be driving from home to home to do the visits, and whatever patient contact required to do the physical assessment. You could ask a family member or LPN/HHA to reposition the patient so you could listen to lungs from posterior. You could also do quality assurance or other admin duties in the office, perhaps work as the assistant director of clinical services. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by cali510 View Post
    Clinical nurse supervisor for a home health agency. Do supervisory visits, small amount of involvement with supervising LPNs, CNAs/HHAs, mostly paperwork, which could be impacted by use of PDA or computer. Your biggest physical requirement would be driving from home to home to do the visits, and whatever patient contact required to do the physical assessment. You could ask a family member or LPN/HHA to reposition the patient so you could listen to lungs from posterior. You could also do quality assurance or other admin duties in the office, perhaps work as the assistant director of clinical services. Just a thought.
    Good ideas, thx!
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Cary, I have seen new RN grads (from ADN programs) doing the supervisory position in hh agencies, so I know that you would have no problems with your background. It is a job and it is in nursing. Just an example of one of those "other" nursing opps out there that we don't think about so quickly until the need arises. Good luck.

Cool other jobs for soldier nurse

Have you thought about utilization review nursing or disease mgmt/case management nursing? Often these jobs can be done from home which would not require any lifting. Also advice line nurse would be great with your experience. I have seen many postings for the state of Texas so, it might be a great alternative for you. I would also like to thank you for serving our country. My daughter is stationed at Ft. Lewis right now & has been in for a year & loves it. Sorry to hear about your shoulder. You might also consider using google to find nurse consultant or health coach jobs. With your wide range of acute hospital experience, you might also consider legal nurse consulting. Law offices are always looking for experienced nurses knowledgeable in appropriate hospital practices & treatment. Hope this helps & good luck!

Hello,
    How about research nursing? there may be a lab draw involved, you can do it one handed if with practice with a butterfly, it stays in place with w a piece of tape on a good one, then you can finish off with the good hand. It involves a lot of data, and computer work.

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierNurse View Post
    I've done PACU nursing and has been my experience very little lifting is involved. Nonetheless, you are correct, lifting is always a possibility in PACU. In a perfect world, or at least in Texas, LOL, I'd love to be an RNFA. Last worked in the OR back March 2006. The hospitals around here don't have RNFA positions as staff nurses. You have to market yourself, get paid via MD or patient's insurance, etc. I prefer a steady paycheck I don't think the Army Medical Dept uses RNFA's, besides my Army career will be no more in the near future.

Maybe Public Health, School Nurse as a VERY last resort, Industrial Nursing possibly. I do appreciate the suggestions.
    Any interest in Special Procedures, Angiography, Cath. lab, Infection Control, Employee health? What is out there in the way of walk-in urgent care centers? I suppose you have little time to explore the private sector and establish relationships right now but I'm certain that a busy surgical practice would take you on in a heartbeat as an RNFA. I hope something comes tot he surface for you soon.

R

Thx Hawknurse!

Appreciate your daughter's military service, too.

Rich, I'm in a holding pattern right now. Still in the MEB process, next PEB, last will be PDA (the final decision). Once I know of a narrower timeline I'll look into my RN possibilities in the Austin area. I do appreciate everyone's input.

I'll keep y'all posted.

Thank you soldiernurse. My daughter will be home on leave in March..can't wait!! I do agree with others that there are a wide variety of avenues for nurses.. not just your typical bedside nursing. With your acute care knowledge & experience your opportunities are endless. You might also consider being a nursepreneur..we develop many skills over the years that prove vital to many businesses & your army skills are definitely a plus. Remember to "Think outside the box"! Good luck with your future endeavors!

Hawknurse, such kind words of wisdom.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12