Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14 yr RN needs career change suggestions...

14 yr RN needs career change suggestions...

Healthcare experience; Scrub Tech 1995-1998
    RN Experience; Telemetry FLR 1998-2001 / ICU, 10 Bed 2001-2003 / OR RN 2003-2006 & ICU 2006-Present*

I can not use my left arm d/t recurrent rotator cuff tears, which includes three failed surgeries. I have no ROM/strength in left arm (supraspinatous full-thickness tear, infraspinatous partial thickness tear, bicep dislocated, labral tear, osteophytes loose in joint.

I'm leaning towards PACU. However, open to ideas.

*Cannot handle the constant lifting, turning, pulling, etc. that comes with ICU nursing care.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Change of pace with Hospice? Just a thought.....

Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    Change of pace with Hospice? Just a thought.....
    Good thought. Will put in my memory bank. My guess I'll be out of the Army in 6 mos or less. Pray enough disability % for med retirement, rather than med sep = 1 compensation check & nothing more.

Was hoping for more participation on this thread. This is very serious stuff for me.
    Last edited by cougarnurse; 01-16-2012 at 03:14 PM.

I can understand this is a major change in things for you.

Hopefully, others are scratching their heads about the change in jobs bit. i am sure there are jobs out there, but where????

What about the housing bit? Aren't you in Govt./Military housing right now? Is moving an option? I know you are a native Texan, yet were in WA state at one time.

Cary,

How about RN First Assistant? You would be great there with your scrub tech and OR background. Would the Army pick up the tab for any certification requirement? Other ideas-teaching, Public health, School or industrial nursing, Ambulatory surgery. I was thinking about PACU and wonder if there might still be too much transferring and those patients are dead weight, too Hospice is a good idea, Cougar.

I'll keep thinking.

R

I'd thought Hospice in that there may or may not be too much lifting/moving involved, depending on the case. A supervisory position in said section would be another idea.

All suggestions welcomed

I can understand this is a major change in things for you.

Hopefully, others are scratching their heads about the change in jobs bit. i am sure there are jobs out there, but where????

What about the housing bit? Aren't you in Govt./Military housing right now? Is moving an option? I know you are a native Texan, yet were in WA state at one time.
    Sorry, let me catch you up ... I lived in base housing at FT Lewis, WA from 2007-2008. LOL, I should say my wife lived in base housing... while I lived @ Camp Bucca, Iraq. After 15 month deployment ended I returned to FT Lewis - had 1st L RTC repair - then (upon my request sort of... long story) PCS'd to FT Sam Houston, San Antonio, TX. We lived in an apartment about 6 months, then bought a house in Cibolo/Schertz, which is about 5 miles south of New Braunfels & about a 60 minute drive to Austin. Wife, also an RN, works at a hospital close to where we live. However, w/o going into details, she would leave the place in a moment's notice. We are not fond of the SA area, and plan to move back to the Austin area.

About 8 months after my THIRD L RTC shoulder surgery went thru MedEvalBrd/PhysicalEvalBrd/PDA process & was found fit for duty (STICU RN @ BAMC... now SAMMC) within limitations of my physical profile (non-deployable). So, whenever I needed to lift, turn, move, etc. my patient I'd grip with left hand but use my right arm to lift while another RN would lift on the opposite side. LOL, due to over compensating for my left shoulder I developed right elbow problems. Then, as time went on subconsciously started using my left arm... which made my left shoulder worse; confirmed by MRI taken last month.

So, I was referred to my second MEB. BTW, using my chain-of-command, I requested a different patient care dept that would involve little to no lifting. The Chief, of Nursing Services not only denied my request she chastised me, said I was unfit to be a Soldier, and should not have been allowed to stay in via my first MEB... Later, I learn the Army will be down-sizing (49,000 out of the Army by/starting[?] April).

Hope that was not TMI? My healthcare exp; CST,Telemetry FLR RN, ICU RN, OR RN, and most recently Surgical/Trauma ICU @ SAMMC (aka BAMC). I need suggestions on civilian patient care settings that involve little to NO lifting

So far on my "maybe" list of ideas is Hospice, Industrial Nursing, PACU*#1 preference*.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricu View Post
    Cary,

How about RN First Assistant? You would be great there with your scrub tech and OR background. Would the Army pick up the tab for any certification requirement? Other ideas-teaching, Public health, School or industrial nursing, Ambulatory surgery. I was thinking about PACU and wonder if there might still be too much transferring and those patients are dead weight, too Hospice is a good idea, Cougar.

I'll keep thinking.

R
    I've done PACU nursing and has been my experience very little lifting is involved. Nonetheless, you are correct, lifting is always a possibility in PACU. In a perfect world, or at least in Texas, LOL, I'd love to be an RNFA. Last worked in the OR back March 2006. The hospitals around here don't have RNFA positions as staff nurses. You have to market yourself, get paid via MD or patient's insurance, etc. I prefer a steady paycheck I don't think the Army Medical Dept uses RNFA's, besides my Army career will be no more in the near future.

Maybe Public Health, School Nurse as a VERY last resort, Industrial Nursing possibly. I do appreciate the suggestions.

I'd thought Hospice in that there may or may not be too much lifting/moving involved, depending on the case. A supervisory position in said section would be another idea.
    Good idea, thx

Wow, only 2 post... thx for the participation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast