Thread: Help Trying to find a California College who does the Obstetric training for RN's

Unhappy Help Trying to find a California College who does the Obstetric training for RN's

Hi, Im new the the site and to California. I am a UK nurse just moved here and received a letter from the CA BRN saying I must do an Obstetric course to meet the minimal requirements to work here as a nurse in California and also to be able to sit the NCLEX exam too.
    I have a list of colleges and universities for the CA area I'm closest to San Jose happy to go further just to do this training, but I have been getting negative feed back so far from at least 15 of them saying they do not do this training or they only do this training if it is on a full nursing program. I have had an email saying this course can be done over 5 weeks which is fantastic I just can find an accredited school who does it. Can anyone help me with this please. Name the college I can do the rest. Thanks in advance Juliette :0)

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    I took a course after licensure in obstetric nursing from a Hosptal with a level three NICU - You might try that route as it sounds like the five week course your looking for.

Hello there,
    thanks for the reply, where abouts was this? What hosptial? Ive been told ive to do theory and practical at an accredited school and to let the California board know about it?

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    It was in West Covina, California - Queen of the Valley Hospital -Through the Family birth and newborn center. it was 5 or 6 weeks had theory and Practical -When done I was certified and had 88 CEU toward my CA lic. There were some nurses from quite a ways north of us who came down and took the class. Once you get the details You should check with the board to make sure it is acceptable.

Thank you again. I will look into this. I have also heard about Cerritos College in Norwalk near LA? Ill keep trying until I get somewhere that does the training, and let's me on the course. Is'nt it sad that we can't just contact a nursing school or college from a list that does this course and we choose which one. Ahhh alas, I so hope this works out in the end.