Thread: Traveling with the family

Question Traveling with the family

Hi, I just joined the forum. Hoping to get advice/tips from other nurses in the same situation. I did some traveling from 2003-2006. My daughter and son were 3 years old and 3 months old when I started. We had another baby and I took a permanent position when the youngest was almost 1. Now with the state of the economy and the housing market, we are ready to give up on the "settle down and buy a house" idea and hit the road again. This time we're planning to get an RV instead of taking the provided housing. My husband has been doing research on full-time RVing, but I am hoping to hear from some other nurses who are doing the same thing and see how it is working for you. I've been an OB nurse for 10 years and we've been in Maine for 6 years now. I'm kind of looking forward to traveling to some warmer places (as I contemplate the 5 foot snowbanks out my window ) We're already homeschooling, so I don't have to deal with that aspect. I am a little anxious about 3 kids who are now 6, 8, and 11 being cooped in an RV full-time! Anyway, I'd love to hear from anyone in a similar situation and how you make it work for you.
    Anna

I met a travel RN who had 5 kids , he traveled with wife and kids for 5 years and loved it. They homeschooled and went site seeing. They took the housing. He spent 1 year at a assignment in Florida and said it was great.
    If you go to warmer weather the kids won't be cooped up , they can spend alot of time out doors. You can make it work, like everything, you just balance things, sounds like you are ready to go.

Thanks, Kdog. I'm getting really excited about the idea. We're hoping to leave in the spring.

Have a great time.