Thread: San Antonio Texas Methodist Health System: Worst travel job ever!!!!

Angry San Antonio Texas Methodist Health System: Worst travel job ever!!!!

Floated to 9 different poorly run hospitals. Never on the same unit, especially the one you signed the contract with. Signed an ICU contract but have only worked Tele. Oh, and they don't tell you any of this until orientation! I want to break the contract but can't afford it! So annoyed! Anyone else having bad experiences like this?

Not that bad.. but someone did not tell you the truth, that being the nurse manager. I'll bet in order to get a warm body they tell you about the ICU job and not that they really need a FLOAT......................Finish and leave and leave the company too.

First Travel then San Antonio

I can relate to your ordeal. I was on an assignment for RN Network @ a hospital in Denton. The recruiter was nice and I was assigned to work on the IMCU. Orientation was nice.
    My specialty is telemetry (Heart/Lung transplant). I oriented on the IMCU and half a day on a Med/Surg unit. I wasn't told I would be floating all over the hospital and it sure didn't say so on the contract.
    So, like any other good nurse I was like "O Kaaaay." First day on the floor I'm floated to the Med/Surg unit; I learned that I will be having six patients. Six patients! As a staff nurse it never got that good. Not only am I new doing Med/Surg, but six patients also. Anyways, managed to make it through the day.

About a month and bunch of floating later I learned I have to work every other weekend which turned out to be every Friday & Saturday. I even was a Sitter almost every Friday. I eventually floated to a Surgical floor, and Pediatrics. I'm not a Pediatric nurse.

The sad thing about this assignment was the lack of communication, no teamwork, the recruiter and his manager always talking about "I'm sorry, I'm sorry. If I knew I would have pulled you off the assignment, I would have pulled you off if I knew you were sitting." "I should've, would've, could've." All through the assignment. Acting all brand new like we never had continuum of conversations.

I took a financial backlash from this assignment and we are still trying to dig ourselves out of the poor house, literally. I can't even explain how horrible it was. I can say that being a first time traveller I wish I had more information about the agency and the hospital, so, I'll take that hit.

RN Network wanted to confirm an assignment for a Methodist hospital in San Antonio. One of the travellers immediately stepped in and said,"If you think you are stressed now, don't do it, I've been there."
    Well that helped. Then I had to go through the " We want her, naaaaa we don't need her, naaaa we want her" indecisiveness of the hospital. Made matters worst, being a single parent, I can't have any lapse in employment, the start date was for two weeks ater the assignment in Denton was done. REALLY

I didn't accept the assignment due to the lack of trust for the Network and the hospital's iffiness.
    Yea, I know it was a first time assignment, but it really makes me want to go back into staffing. It wasn't just the floating, it was the money (coming more out of pocket than I'm taking in) being inconsiderate, recruiters telling you bad information and so forth.

I justed wanted to share this, get some of it off my chest.

OK, change companies and when you interview dig deep and ask alot of questions, especially the floating deal... Make it clear you will not float to med surg and all over the hopsital and make sure it is in your contract and all parties sign it. There are alot of IMCU jobs that need you and you will not float. BUt, you have to find out the good hospitals and remember this.... Recruiters at any company are not nurses and will say anything to get a SALE..... Step up your interview skills and don't settle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Kdog. this was my first assignment. But you did touch on a point, "make sure it is in your contract..." There were many things wrong with my contract and they seemed to be able to validate every reason for the mess, but let me wanna renege on something, then they would throw the contract they are not abiding by in my face. But's it all good. I'll get over it.
    ONLY1