Thread: surgical site marking

surgical site marking

Surgical patient safety is the good concept.But some process is difficult to do in my hospital.That is surgical site marking,most doctors think they just mark the surgical in the physician note when they have physical examination or screening in the first time they met patients.So they think just only "Time Out" in OR is neccessory process.How do you think about that?..

Quote Originally Posted by manee_chuchu View Post
    Surgical patient safety is the good concept.But some process is difficult to do in my hospital.That is surgical site marking,most doctors think they just mark the surgical in the physician note when they have physical examination or screening in the first time they met patients.So they think just only "Time Out" in OR is neccessory process.How do you think about that?..
    Unacceptable! We don't take our patients to the OR if the MD has not seen/marked the site, if applicable. In the OR, our Timeout is very extensive. In fact, a timeout poster is in every OR. Everybody stops while the Circulator does the timeout, which takes several minutes.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    One of my consumers recently had a cervical Spinal Fusion and the surgeon marked the site with a temporary tattoo. I had never seen that before

Quote Originally Posted by hppygr8ful View Post
    One of my consumers recently had a cervical Spinal Fusion and the surgeon marked the site with a temporary tattoo. I had never seen that before
    Consumers?
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    That's what federal law says we have to call developmentally disabled adults living in community settings. Actually since Sara's law was signed last year we now no longer use DD or MR designation the new term is Intellectually Disabled or ID's

It's hard to keep up with the nomenclature