Thread: Tips To Become A Happier Nurse

Tips To Become A Happier Nurse

What are the best tips to become a happier Nurse?

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    I can think of a few.

Find a way to destress when you are not at work.

Remember that you wear many hats in your life. The nurses cap is only one. You may be a husband, wife, father, mother, child, friend etc..... Remember to care about all these things and leave the job where it belongs.

If you are feeling over stressed in you current specialty - explore other options. Even in this economy there are so many areas of nursing to explore. I have done LDRP, Psych, ER and now home health. My current job is the best ever because I have lots of autonomy,a great boss and pretty fantastic pay......But I got lucky and answered an ad in one of those throw-away papers. The ad actually read "Nurses are you tired of working weekends and Mandatory Overtime?"

Don't think that you need medication, alcohol or any other substance to cope with your job. Trust me it will lead you down a road you don't want to take....(You can find my story on the Nurses in Recovery Board)

Most of all don't lose you sense of joy ...... take walks, smell flowers, hug your kids and take the best possible care of your patients that you can......

Peace and Namste

Hppy

Concentrating on my patients and their particular always helps. I tend to pay too much attention to institutional politics which makes me crazy, so sometimes, I need to refocus.

We all have to remember and reflect back on why we decided to get into this profession. Try to remember all the good and don't stress yourself about the bad. No matter how bad my day is or even week I always make time for myself to DE-stress. I actually started doing "tap therapy, " and I love it. It is a form of acupuncture, but with out the needles. I encourage everyone to give it a try. Just google it, it's all over the internet.

It’s really important for you to be happy with what you do because you can never be efficient if it’s the other way around. Just be positive, there really are a lot of negative energies in the workplace particularly stress, but don’t dwell on the negatives because it will just drain your energy and eventually make you discontented and unhappy. Put your heart in what do, consider yourself lucky because not everybody is given the chance to help others who are sick. Being able to alleviate other people’s condition through a nurse’s caring hand is one of the best feelings in the world! Be happy and stay happy that you are a nurse!