Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Style tips for Nurses

Style tips for Nurses

What are the best style tips for Nurses?

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    Closed shoes and keep you hair up

Nurses and for that matter, all healthcare providers should (at work) reasonably, be conservatively dressed. Hair should be easy to manage and not require the unconscious but perpetual tucking behind the ear or out of the face. You are after all, trying to maintain a clean if not sterile field and touching your hair and then your patient in possibly a compromised area like a surgical wound or touching your contaminated patient and then your hair thereby contaminating yourself is a big problem. Fragrances and cosmetics should be minimal. Yor patients and for that matter coworkers with airway sensitivities will appreciate being spared the assault. We work intimately with each other so spare us the awkward position of having to ask you to bathe more regularly or apply stronger antiperspirant. Make-up in glamour shades is more appropriate for and better appreciated out socially after work. Speaking of glamour, nail length and appliques belong out of the hospital. They are a source of infection and possibly injury. I once had a coworker with jeweled nails come in to work and lose a "jewel." Not in a patient, I hope. Really, how can you use instruments and start IVs with long nails? Jewelry should not ever be able to jeopardize safety either by contamination or physical compromise. Rings should not be able to catch dirt or scratch, bracelets and watches, too. Necklaces, neck ties or stethoscopes should never dangle into sterile fields or be usable to choke you, likewise ear rings, guages, other rings and studs in other visible places. Finally, clothing has got to fit the job AND the body. Fashion and style inconsistent with delivery of healthcare in a highly stressful setting is to be worn out of the hospital. Shoes should be impervious to liquid, able to be run in, comfortable and supportive to wear all day long and while standing for long periods and QUIET. We all know those types who like noisy heels that you can hear a mile away and all day long. Don't be one of those. I like all kinds of uniforms, bleached whites and fun scrubs with bright colors, wild colored clogs and crazy frames for your glasses but, be sure it fits you. I should not know you wear a thong and your low rider pants should not make me wince when I look at you. I should not be able to know which guys don't wear underwear and/or I should not see the patterns images or slogans on your boxers. Oh and by the way, lose the tee shirt sticking out below your short scrub sleeves. It looks stupid. Lastly, because it comes in your size doesn't mean you should wear it. I should not see the ladybug tattoo on your belly often enough to be familiar with it. For that matter I should not see it at all but realistically, this is a physical job, we all reach and pull and sometimes the shirt rides up. Speaking of tattoos, I have none but do find them interesting. I don't think ink should be covered up but that said, it really does depend on the image. Gutter language, nude people in compromised positions and hate messages should not be visible while on the job.

I think you nailed it down perfectly

Quote Originally Posted by hppygr8ful View Post
    I think you nailed it down perfectly
    Thanks,

When I re-read it before posting, I wondered if it would be considered more of a rant than the humorous-with-a-serious-side piece it was intended to be.
    R

Well even if it might have been a little bit of a vent - But you all have put up with my rants.

Quote Originally Posted by hppygr8ful View Post
    Well even if it might have been a little bit of a vent - But you all have put up with my rants.
    That's what we're here for.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Ricu, as Hppy has stated you put up with our 'rants'......

Back to the OP: style tips? Folks, after a code or two, patients/residents throwing food/liquid at you, etc., there IS not 'style tips', except to wear a vinyl poncho.

It didn't take me long to learn to keep a second set of scrubs in my locker.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    Ricu, as Hppy has stated you put up with our 'rants'......

Back to the OP: style tips? Folks, after a code or two, patients/residents throwing food/liquid at you, etc., there IS not 'style tips', except to wear a vinyl poncho.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    I only got a locker once in all my years of nursing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast