Thread: New Nurse to traveling

New Nurse to traveling

Just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm going traveling as a nurse. It's the first time and I'm pretty nervous. The patient load at night is 9 - 10 patients per nurse. I've been blessed in the hospitals I've worked at to only have 4 - 6 patients. Is it normal at rural hospitals for nurses to have this many patients? Especially at night? Thanks.

Welcome. I think that is a high ratio for a hospital for rehab that is normal. Where are you going and what floor ?

Welcome to the site.

Hi, Im new here too. Did you go on you travel? I have been looking for a travel job to alaska and so far no luck. Its because I'm still a LPN. I have been excepted into the course for January, but would really like to go ahead and start traveling. How did your trip go. It's very interesting, I'd love to here from you.

9 to 10 patients is alot but it depends . I had 7 patients daily at Boca Raton travel assignment on days, medical floor, low acuity, managed fine.
    Where are you going and what floor?

Hi - I am also new to travel nursing. I have been accepted by a facility near Atlanta and actually wondered if I can have a limitation on the nurseatient ratio put into my contract. I was told the dayshift ratio is 1:5 and "sometimes, 1:6", but it would be "higher on the night shift" (which is what I'll be working). I'm wondering, how much higher, as I feel 1:6 is high enough for a high acuity Med-Surg floor; I certainly do not want to jeopardize my RN license in being assigned too many patients, who are of high acuity (stroke patients are #1 patient admission to this floor). I understand that travel nurses are employed at facilities who are unable to staff for whatever reason, but we also have our limitations! Any feedback is appreciated!

You could have pinned down the nurse manager that interviewed you. Anyway, make sure that the assignments ratios are equal between all staff. If you feel unsafe, say something right away to charge nurse. At Boca we all got 7 pt. s day or night. It was manageble on days, low acuity medical pt. s.
    6 would be a better #.. just go and see what happens. No one wants to be put at risk.