Thread: ADN or BSN

ADN or BSN

Hello. I am currently working as an STNA in LTC. I have applied to nursing programs in my area to further my health care career. (I also have a bachelor's in Psychology) I have been accepted into both an ADN program and a BSN program. I'd like to ask the advice of other nurses/nursing students about which path is going to be better. I want to complete a BSN either way.

I have the majority of generals/pre-req's finished from my BA. I have to wait 1 year to start the ADN program as I am ready for clinicals. I can start the BSN program right away in about a month.

If I go the ADN route, it will take 3 years to be able to work as an RN at the ADN level. If I go the BSN route it will take 4 years. However, there would be an extra 2 years or so on top of the ADN to finish the BSN. So it's 5 years ADN + BSN vs. 4 years straight through BSN.

The problem is I would have more time to save money for school if I waited for the RN. But it wouldn't be that much toward the total cost anyway. I'm not eligible for financial aid because my husband and I are both employed. But we both have student loan debt so our paychecks don't go as far as FASFA would like to think. More loans will be required no matter which path I take.

My ultimate goals in nursing are to be a BSN and to hopefully work as a nurse in a research facility or hospital. I am lucky enough to live close to a couple of research hospitals and their job descriptions for research nurses require RN and prefer BSN now.

Starting the straight through BSN program is what I lean toward, knowing I can do well in a "traditional" education setting and I want to go back to school now because I'm so excited. My husband leans toward the ADN + BSN way because I could start making more money a year sooner. I would appreciate any advice or thoughts on which route would work for someone who has the pre-req's/generals finished.

Thanks!

I was "kinda" where you are. I had to go on and do the least, even though I wanted the best, because I had to get to work too. I did the rest, mostly online. It wasn't the way I planned it, but I think in the long run, It saved me and my family a lot of stress. Good luck.