Thread: Back to work after years off

Back to work after years off

I worked CCU/ICU right out of school in the early 90's. I took off many years to raise my children...more than I meant to, as my daughter became quite ill and there was never any question that I could only be a full time mom and caregiver for her.
    Now, I find myself in the position of not having recent experience that the hospitals want. I am currently working part time as a school nurse and am enrolled in an RN to BSN program, hoping that will jumpstart my career. I definitely cannot put my kids through college and retire before I am 80 on what a school nurse makes!
    I would love to get back into critical care someday...

Any advice/suggestions?

alot of bigger hospitals will train u like they do new grads. when are u looking to apply?

I graduate with BSN in Dec 2013, but would really like to get into the hospital setting this summer (as a school nurse, my summers are free). Ideally, I would do part time or even PRN, but I just don't know if I can get hired with such a gap in my resume. I am wondering if I should contact a nurse recruiter at hospital and explain my position, and ask for advice?? I live in a fairly small town ( 3hospitals) in NE Tennessee.

Definitely contact the nurse recruiter.. that's what they are there for.

I did contact the nurse recruiter, and I have an appt today to speak with her. I am so nervous. I just keep telling myself that while my experience is not recent, it is still valuable. Wish me luck.........

Well, I was offered a job in cardiac step down. I really wasn't expecting that! I can do this, right? Really nervous, I think it has been 15 years since I started an Iv. Yikes.
    I have to tell my current supervisor today, I hope she understands. I like my job as a school nurse, it just isn't offering me any clinical growth, or financial growth either....

Good luck!

Hi there!
    Congratulations and definitely you can do it, but of course be prepared to undergo training or you may also do some readings in order to cope up with the new practice as it may already have changed from what you have practiced ten years ago..Good luck and always believe in yourself!