Thread: new to travel nursing

Cool new to travel nursing

Hi everyone,
    I have finally decided to leave the nest and travel. I am very nervous and some of the blogs I have read have not helped my anxiety. I have read some very scary things, but I have also learned a lot about what to ask and what to watch out for. I have been an ED nurse for 22 years and have my 2 adult children still living at home. They are going to take care of our home while I travel. I guess if they won't leave, I will. I have wanted to travel since I became a nurse and this is the first opportunity. Can someone tell be about the good side of travel nursing. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate all of the information about the down side. I now know the right questions to ask the recruiter and the hospitals and what to watch out for. Despite the down side I am still ready to go in November. I am about to be a new grandmother and plan to stay around here til everyone is settled. I am also excited to read more about traveling and hope to make some new friends along the way.

You are ready to travel !!
    You have alot of experience and ED nursing has the most travel opportunities.. You will be fine.
    Just make sure you don't have to always cover the psych. ER ward, etc. ask for equity during your interview.
    It seems like most of the travel problems are floor nurses who have to float and do split shifts. ER nurses don't float, unless, they are in a small rural hospital, then they go go to ICU.
    Have you talked w recruiters yet? Go for it......