Thread: Nursing profession

Nursing profession

I am a first year nursing student and am doing a project on the nursing profession. I am hoping to get some feedback on the topics/questions listed below. Any and all feedback is welcome.

Do you feel that nursing is a profession? FROM YOUR PERSPECTIVE, HOW HAS THE NURSING PROFESSION CHANGED OVER THE YEARS? (it would be very appreciated if you included how long you have been practicing within your submission) If a change occured, was it good or detrimental to the profession? What problems do you feel are the biggest issues in nursing roday? Do you have any ideas how to solve these issues?

I've been a nurse for 15 years but a healthcare professional for over 30 and I do believe nursing is a profession. The definition of profession or professional, is a group of or singular individual who establishes standards of practice and is self governing. Nursing. I believe that there have been changes in the field both good and bad. Good changes include expanded practice and greater autonomy. Bad changes have to do with the ever increasing non care related obligations which take nurses away from the primary responsibility for the patient. Those include administrative duties, layered documentation, committees, meetings and so on. These matters affect all healthcare professionals not just nursing and are driven by forces outside of the healthcare industry. Hopefully this helps.

Good luck,

R

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    I like to say I'm a nurse who's nearly as old as dirt. Ricu does make a good point on the financial bit. I see many LTC patients who are on Public Aid, due to their multiple (!) problems. Live longer, but not healthier.