Thread: I have a question

I have a question

Maybe some of you girls can offer your opinion

I'm 52 and have a deep desire to become a CNA. I always wanted to be a nurse growing up, problem with that..I can't stand needles or the thought of sticking one in someone. In 2001 I had a ruptured brain aneurosym. I was in the hospital for over a month. I had to have help with bedpans and baths. The girl who helped me was so sweet. She never made me feel that anything was gross or that she didn't want to help. I thought, it must be nice to be able to help someone with something that we all feel is so private. Then in 2003 my dad got cancer. He had already had a colostomy. He had to have a feeding peg tube put in. I am one of 5 sisters. No one wanted to help him but me. They said they just couldn't do it. I had to for 5 months put food in one side of his stomach and empty it out the other. It didn't bother me, I loved him. Now it's moms turn. She is 72 and had advanced colorectal cancer. She is doing fairly well now. And guess who had to help her with her bag for months..me. All that being said. I have something in my heart that tells me I could be of help to someone. To me...whats gross work in this life is dealing with people who don't seem to have enough love in their heart to help others. I know it wont be easy. I just feel like God had lead me into this direction.

Thanks for listening.

Vickie

Vickie,

You definite have what it takes to be an excellent (L)CNA. Check local long term care centers for training because they often hold classes for prospective employees and training is free when you're hired. Usually they expect a 6 month commitment and then you're free to leave if you want to. God luck.

R

Vickie Kay,
    You would be awesome LNA because of your desire and personal and family experiences... Look in your area for a program... should not take long.... we need people like you who are committed to helping others..
    Keep us posted...

Thank you for your advice.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Welcome to the site!

Also check if there are any CNA classes/schools mentioned under your state's Board of Nursing.

age is not problem at all. go for

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    BTW, you won't have yo worry about 'sticking anyone with needles'. You'd be doing that if you're an LPN or RN.

On a completely different note, you should have a screening colonoscopy with such a strong family history of colon cancer.

Good luck with your CNA, you will be great.