Thread: Ethical dilemma

Ethical dilemma

Hello,

My question is a simple one. I have done much review on nursing ethics and the boundaries of relationships.

My question is, is it ever acceptable to begin a social relationship with the family of a deceased loved one that you took care of? Would 9 months without any contact or taking care of the loved one be ok then to initiate a very minor social interaction?

Thank you.

depends ..what are you hoping to get out of this...and will it be good for the family?
    You can always send a card

Social interactions are complex for the healthcare professional. I guess the first question to ask is, "in this case, what are your concerns about pursuing a relationship?" If you have concerns, perhaps there are issues and/or motives that bear closer examination. Very carefully and with much trepidation I say this, but otherwise, the nurse can enter into a perfectly healthy relationship with individuals with whom (s)he has worked in a professional setting.

R

Also,
    you may want to consider how people grieve, not everyone grieves the same way... perhaps this family likes their privacy and would wonder why you are contacting them after all this time and it may bring back the dying experience of their loved one.
    I think it's best to leave it alone. I know you care , and you provided care to them, that is your obligation.. beyond that , not sure continuing a relationship is a good idea.. that bypasses the nurse/pt./family relationship. Families can attend hospice counseling and get nursing support that way... maybe you would be interested in being a hospice nurse . just some of my thoughts..

If you had a good relationship with the family while you are still taking care of their loved ones, then your motive in initiating a social relationship with them might not be misinterpreted, though it is still safe to keep the relationship as professional as possible.