Thread: Bad Nursing Career Experience

Unhappy Bad Nursing Career Experience

Help me out here, I don't really know what I did wrong. Today I got kicked out of nursing school, it was horrible I am a junior nurse studying to become a RN. Doing my practicles at a old age home. A really bad one to say the least, hazardous medical waste lying around in patients reach when I started, 3 nursing assistants taking care of 50 patients, half of the patients have open bed sores, psychiatric area in the home with no psychiatric nurse working there, the cleaners take care of the mentally ill sister, one RN in charge, who arrives 2 hours late on shift and leaves 2 hours early, doesn't even arrive some days, doesn't know half of the patients names even tho shes been working there for seven years - sorry for the long story. Highlights was I really enjoyed working there in spite of the circumstances I grew to love the old people, they preferred me helping them later on, i cleaned the place with my own soaps i brought from home, i made plans to help with donations for new mattresses, even tho i wasn't even being paid and i was a learner. Later on one of my seniors started yelling at me in front of the patients, for not pressing the correct button to put off a buzzer which the patients use to call, she started intimidating me and being aggressive today when i showed up for my shift the RN called me in saying "your not eager to learn, and you are lazy" i asked her where i slipped up so i could correct my mistake, she couldn't answer me, i went to my college to express my dissatisfaction with the situation. The head nurse went to the home to investigate and called me into her office later saying that I am lazy, i could never be a nurse, i have no rights as a learner, i don't know how to address a superior correctly, i am manipulative and the nurses say i dont do my job. When i asked her to give me a example where i did wrong. She couldn't. Indicated it was my personality. So there you have the whole story. What do you think? I am trying to find some sense in it all.

Interesting. I think that the head nurses observation says it all whether you like it or not, not much you can do about it.
    She/he has the administrative backing of the school. Guess you will have to apply to another school.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Funny you got nothing in writing, eh? Anyone there who can back you up? Any way you can check the State's surveys?

Just some thoughts.....

I feel that it's unfair dismissal

A nurse in my class was dismissed for being to SYMPATHETIC and doting where the instructors thought that this could keep the patient stuck in their recovery .

I met a CNA who told me she was dismissed from nursing school and was told to try becoming a social worker..

What a horrible story So sorry for all your stresses. I seen alot in nursing school that I just didn't agree with. One thing I learned in school through those kind of experiences is what "I don't want to be." Does your school have an appeal process? Look through your student handbook and see what rule you may have broken. Don't give up!

A really really bad experience to hear that..well anyway, what are your options and so far? I'm sure there will be a lot of nursing school who are willing to accept you! If that's your work environment as a learner, then it's a much better option to leave anyway!