Thread: My mom is a RN - she wants to move closer to me (NY to MD) - license and job qs

Question My mom is a RN - she wants to move closer to me (NY to MD) - license and job qs

Greetings everyone, I am not a nurse, but my mother is. She's been an RN for about 15 years and has an associates degree in nursing from a community college where she lives in New York State. She's been employed at the same hospital for most of this time and is well regarded. With her getting into her mid-50s and both my sister and I being far from her, I think she might be happier if she moved closer to us.

Because she's been in the same hospital for so long, I think she's become very comfortable and doesn't know how to initiate a possible move.

I'm sorry if these questions are stupid, but I'm a total stranger to the field:

1. How difficult would it be for her to transfer (or get a new) nursing license in Maryland? Are there programs where you can transfer a license from one state to another?

2. Would it be difficult for an experienced nurse to find a job with only an associates degree from a school that might not be known to hospitals in Maryland?

I appreciate any insight forum members might have.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Hi, Bobby! Just wondering.......are you guys planning on moving to Maryland soon?

I would suggest having her drop by Ultimatenurse (akd UN) when she gets a chance. In the Nursing Discussion by State section, I have listed--in each State--the information for each State BON. I believe she'd find the information there.

As for finding a job? She can try!

Pardon me for the short answers. I just woke up, and need coffee!

'Cat'

1st have your mom check hospital job postings to see what is available in her nursing background. Explain in cover letter in 1 sentence looking to relocate..
    Obtaining a MD license by endorsement, which means, you pay a fee for license.check on line Maryland Board of Nursing, site will give the information. She can apply now or wait and interview then apply..

Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    Hi, Bobby! Just wondering.......are you guys planning on moving to Maryland soon?

I would suggest having her drop by Ultimatenurse (akd UN) when she gets a chance. In the Nursing Discussion by State section, I have listed--in each State--the information for each State BON. I believe she'd find the information there.

As for finding a job? She can try!

Pardon me for the short answers. I just woke up, and need coffee!

'Cat'
    My siblings and I already live in MD, i think she's getting lonely without the grand kids and figure this is a good move. I'm not sure what a BON is?

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    BON = Board of Nursing.