Thread: Best way to do travel nursingl out of an RV/Camper

Best way to do travel nursingl out of an RV/Camper

I am new to this forum so forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this thread.
    I have been an RN for a year now, working on a Tele floor in Western NC. I am planning to start traveling because my wife will be doing her bachelors online and it seems like I can make more money traveling than what I am making now. I dont think it would be financially worth traveling unless I can pocket the housing stipend from the agencies. My question is for those of you who have traveled this way or know people who have traveled this way in the past. I am looking at three different options and would like some opinions. 1) Class C motorhome 2)travel trailer 3)cargo van converted into camper.

1.) Class C motorhome
    We are considering the Class C for a few reasons. it would provide ample living space for us and it would be easy to pull off the side of the road and sleep in if we were traveling long distances. We would probably tow a small car behind to use when we were stationed in certain areas. The biggest downside that I can see to the Class C is that we would not have enough money to buy a new one and are looking at something that is 20 yrs old. My fear with an older Class C is that if something happens to the engine, our entire living space is gone.

2.) Travel Trailer
    The travel trailer seems to be a good option because the living quarters are separate from the vehicle that tows it, so if something happens to the truck or SUV, we still have our living space and only have to replace the vehicle. Travel trailers seem to be more customizable to fit our personal needs than the Class C would be. We would also solve the problem of having to pull a car behind since we would have the truck/SUV for transportation.

3.) Cargo Van
    This is by no means the best option in my book but may be the least expensive initially. I think the space would be far too small for two adults and a dog but its still in the bag of options for us right now.

So after hearing these three options does anyone have any past experiences with this type of travel nursing or suggestions for different types of housing/transportation. We are excited by the prospect of being able to move around the country but I want to make sure I do my research and find the best way to live.
    Thanks for any advice/comments in advance and Im sure I will be posting on here quite a bit more in the future.

Cody

I have a 31 ft pull behind travel trailer with 2 slideouts. I LOVE IT.. i have traveled for years and for the last 3 i have lived in my trailer off an on. winters are more challenging cause most of the places i go to dont open in the winter for travel trailers. If you go this route it is great. The cost can very from $300 a month to $600 a month depending on the campground. most times it is all inclusive. ie/ water sewage, cable, wifi. some places charge extra for elec. when i was in Arizona they charged extra for elec cause of the high use of air conditioners in the summer heat. I love having my own things and my own place. I travel alone and i did just fine. i am a 54 year old female and i handled my trailer alone with no issues at all... enjoy the life. it is really great. RV folks are the best. i have had so much help out there from them. there are great forums as well.

I think you're onto something here. We have a 34 ft Class A and are planning to do a little travel nursing in the future and will live in the RV.