Thread: I need a question answered about hospital policy

I need a question answered about hospital policy

My wife is set to give birth in late Feb 2012. My wife has an illness that we would like to keep private. The Dr`s involved are aware of the illness. My wife is a certain minority and that particular minority is very close in our community. Two of the delivery nurses at our hospital are from that same minority group. My concern is that one or both will be our delivery nurse. She will find out about my wifes illness and start talking and gossiping to the others in our minority community. I realize there are hippa laws but these particular people thrive on gossiping. How do I keep them from being our delivery nurse ? A few years ago there was a member of our group who went into the hospital to have something done. Soon after rumors spread that she had a disease. Her reputation was ruined. I don`t want that same thing to happen with my wife. Any suggestions on what I should do ? Any info you can pass along would be appreciated. Thanks !

Beyond HIPAA, aren't there confidentiality laws? Nurses who share this kind of information - wouldn't they be fired for that?

Do keep in mind that the person you reference who went into the hospital, the fact that they entered a care facility isn't exactly a secret (e. g. someone sees them walk in the door). It does not necessarily mean that anyone providing care said anything, as someone in the ER or walking down the street could have seen them enter the hospital.

HIPPA laws are comprehensive, period. Red Light's wife should be afforded total privacy without asking for it. That said, health care workers violate HIPPA all the time so concern for privacy is not unjustified. It is not unreasonable to request that certain staff not be part of your care team and this might be the best way to go versus taking the risk that personal information might be disclosed in the community. The alternative is to go in believing that HIPPA will be honored, find that it isn't and sue for damages which is well within the patient's right but does not undo the damage that is done. Once personal information is shared, it cannot be taken back. A tough situation.

Red Light, congratulations ahead of time for the arrival of your baby and, I wish you good luck and much happiness.

R