Thread: The two faces of nursing

Unhappy The two faces of nursing

Has anyone ever dealt with two faced or bullying coworkers? I am so tired of dealing with them. If I could find another job I would leave but they are everywhere now. It seems to be the trend of a dog eat dog world.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Anything to keep their job? Just wondering.....

My first job I felt bullied by the night supervisor, she constantly picked on me.. I was new grad and did not know what to do, so, when I saw her coming, I would go into a patients room.. I was afraid of her.finally, I went to days and did not have any problems......

But along my way in other jobs, there have been a few 2 faced nurses...on travel assignments. very uncomfortable. They had some sort of grudge against travlers, or so I heard. I just avoided them and did not ask them for help but would seek out others.

Interesting and, very timely. Today I received Vol.5, No. 2, February edition of Bold Voices which is a publication by the AACN and the feature article by Kathryn Roberts, AACN President, was titled "Dare to Take on Bullying". In her article she described the various ways that bullying occurs and the many names that managers and institutions give it but more importantly, she quite accurately indicated that bullying is a practice that everyone recognizes but rarely does anything about. Furthermore, she went on to say that often we ourselves can be guilty of bullying practices without even being aware of it. She recommended that we take stock of ourselves for example, become aware of how our coworkers perceive us, what our verbal and nonverbal communication is saying, how often we roll our eyes when someone is speaking and whether or not we participate in gossip. Her challenge was for each of us to check our own behavior and then stand up to bullying. Doing so can be passive by not participating in bullying behavior and active by confronting it, scary, I know but as she implied, "bullying is smoke and courage is fire". Standing up to bullying could simply be moving over and standing next to someone who is being subjected to bullying behavior by another. Good things to think about.

R

It's really tiring to deal with those type of people, considering that they are already professionals, yet they act like children!
    Thank you for sharing Ricu...I just thought, I may have been a bully, but just not aware of it!
    I learned a lot from what you share, we all hate bullies but we may not be aware that we are already practicing it!

I really like those kinds of reality checks, too. This one was particularly good because the subject was handled in a non-accusatory way and had easy to assimilate practice recommendations.

A very interesting topic!thank you for discussing it here, I had a realization to make sure not to " unconsciously" bully someone else at work and be more responsible about my acts as I might already have offendedthem.