Thread: Resume Question

Resume Question

If a nurse takes a job and leaves before the 90 day review, because it was not a good fit, are they obligated to put that job on their resume, when applying for a new job?

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Depends. I'll have to ask my resources.....

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    It depends because a resume and a job application are two entirely different things. Over the years I have had several resume's that were specifically written depending on what kind of job I was seeking and what experience I wanted to present. If an Application asks you to list all jobs you've had say in the last ten years and you leave one out you might not be hired. Hospital's generally run background checks with a third party so it's bound to show up. Then they will want to know why you didn't put it on your application. I don't know about other State's but in California an employer can only legally confirm your dates of employment. They can tell if you are eligible for rehire but only if the prospective employer asks that question. It's better to put in on your application and when asked why you left say exactly what you stated in your question. "The job just wasn't a good fit" Don't badmouth your previous employer or give more details unless they ask then keep it short an simple. There is usually a box on your application that asks "May we contact your previous employer" you can always say no or as I usually do write in "Prefer to discuss in person during interview"

I have been extremely lucky and blessed in that I have always had good luck finding jobs. In fact I have worked consitantly for pay since I was 15 years old - except when I didn't want to. My dad taught me to always be honest in my approach to others and it has worked well for me.

You don't have to put anything on your resume that you don't want or list every employer but you will be expected to explain a time gap in your work history. There's no harm in admitting to a poor work fit or leaving inside the 90 day window so long as you gave adequate notice.

Thanks everyone for your opinions.