Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New survey: Nursing shortage 'a myth'

Quote Originally Posted by hppygr8ful View Post
    The dynamics of the nursing shortage have changed and have followed economic trends. Just as the LVN was almost eliminated from acute practice so to are undergraduate RN's on their way out. One of the major problems is that health care reform which does not recognize the undergrad RN as a valued piece of the puzzle. IF you have the intestinal fortitude to take on grad school go after your advanced practice RN. The deep cuts in reimbursement that hospitals and doctors will have to accept over the next few years will mean tha hospital's have less money for training new grads. IF you are young enough I would suggest military service as a nurse at least you would get your experience in and come out a well seasoned nurse.

Hppy
    Interesting points. Money is definitely the biggest motivating piece of the health care reform puzzle but I fear that actual care-related dollars will throw of all of the pie charts being used to forecast future health care costs. The office bound bean counters cannot factor in the living and ever changing bedside component which includes the "cost center related, nurse-based care."
    Newly licensed nurses would definitely get broad-based experience through military service.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Not if another Mod has anything to say about it, Ricu.

Roger that.

I've notice in aprts of the country that have quite a few nursing school programs and a high number of new grads, jobs are hard to come by for new grads. However, if you are willing to relocate to other parts of the country, new grads can find a job.

There are several things that have to be factored in to this equasion people.
    One thing I have noticed is = The older, "experienced" Nurses (in my town) that are at or near retirment age are pulling the ultimate slam on new grads.
    They "RETIRE" only to return to work the very next day (on perdium) at the same job, in the same department, same position, same everything.
    Only "NOW" they are retired, their "BASE" income is secure and can't be threatened if they mess up royaly resulting in terminatiion, some are even drawing social security.
    NOT ONLY does this take a job away from a new grad, it adds to the rise in healthcare costs.
    Who could blame the retirees though???? with a chance to almost double your take home pay????
    We do have a serious problem.
    What to do about it is a mystery.
    I know several Grads who were never able to find work and left the profession without ever even cashing one paycheck.
    They do however still have the student loans to pay back.
    Sad, but true. SIGH..........

Orion,

Sadly, I agree with your somewhat dismal forecast. Many of the new grad nurses where I am (that I know) have gotten positions but not all of them and they waited a painfully long time, some almost a year. What I will say is that the most persistent ones got those jobs. It is sad to think that as those old nurses do retire, the replacement workforce will be no bigger because the "theoretically flooded" market isn't sitting around waiting, they're getting jobs doing whatever they can even if it's going back for a different degree. They won't be out there to jump on that "too late in coming" nursing job. Ah well, it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

R
    Quote Originally Posted by 117orion View Post
    There are several things that have to be factored in to this equasion people.
    One thing I have noticed is = The older, "experienced" Nurses (in my town) that are at or near retirment age are pulling the ultimate slam on new grads.
    They "RETIRE" only to return to work the very next day (on perdium) at the same job, in the same department, same position, same everything.
    Only "NOW" they are retired, their "BASE" income is secure and can't be threatened if they mess up royaly resulting in terminatiion, some are even drawing social security.
    NOT ONLY does this take a job away from a new grad, it adds to the rise in healthcare costs.
    Who could blame the retirees though???? with a chance to almost double your take home pay????
    We do have a serious problem.
    What to do about it is a mystery.
    I know several Grads who were never able to find work and left the profession without ever even cashing one paycheck.
    They do however still have the student loans to pay back.
    Sad, but true. SIGH..........

WOW, it only took them a year to find work?????
    I know people who have been doing volunteer work at a free clinic for the homeless and those who can't afford health insurance (to keep their skills up,)
    Paying state fees to maintain their licenses, buying supplies and driving long distances to help out at these clinics
    while working other jobs to boot for over three years
    AND they spend 10 to 20 hours a week looking for a job in nursing.
    Still; for some reason, they can not find work in health care.
    One of my friends was working as a CNA and is now unemployed because she got her Nursing degree.
    This is not how things are saposed to be happening; yet, here we are.

This is an interesting discussion. Somehow this is really a cycle that is being experienced by the nursing profession.
    I agree with your cyclic hypothasis Amygarside.

Our fearless leaders in washington have made things worse by dropping reembursment payments by 25% and of course the insurance companies are all jumping on the band wagon with the government, this in turn is costing even more jobs to be cut in turn driving more and more people to the poor house, putting an even greater strain on the system as a whole requiring those who do have jobs to work longer hours for even less pay.....................................
    Do we see where this is going folks?
    Someone in government has to see this isn't working.
    If at first you try something and it blows up in your face........................
    I for one would not try that something again. EVER.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    Don"t even get me started on how the Government and current administration have truely hurt the American people and economy........All I can say at this point is "Elections have consequences" Go pick up a copy of George Owell's Animal Farm and read it with open eyes...............

Peace

Hppy

As far as who is "responsible" for it, I guess I do not know what you mean. Every individual is responsible for their own future, well being and life outcomes. If someone didn't do their research before embarking on this journey, that impetus is on them, not the media, who loves to report on this. One does not have to look very far to see how many new grads are going without jobs.

The best we can do is re-educate people. For me, that is on a person to person level when the subject comes up. I have no interest in staging a protest.

hospitals these days prefer hiring the BSN graduates with experiences..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast