Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New survey: Nursing shortage 'a myth'

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

New survey: Nursing shortage 'a myth'

Just reporting: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nursin...VR9BUAXTXQtDMD

62% of newly graduated nurses will have trouble finding jobs in the next year, according to a survey conducted by Nursing Degree.org, a leading nursing education and career portal. The study surveyed Registered Nurses who had graduated in the last two years. Most of the students surveyed indicated that they had trouble finding a full time job in their field, or were not working in the field of nursing at all, despite their qualifications.
    "The so called Nursing Shortage is really a myth", said Cathy Miller, Director of Education for Nursing Degree.org. "The idea that we as a country are experiencing a drastic shortage in Nurses is not really correct. Most nursing jobs now specifically state they are not interested in non-experienced nurses."

Recent studies and surveys have suggested that with the rising age of baby boomers, there will be a rise in demand for nurses and other health professionals. According to Miller, however, the data doesn't take into account technological advances and a shift in medical care.

"Between the Affordable Care Act and the advancement in health technology, the number of nurses on per person will only continue to decline, not rise. That's why these new nurses are having such a hard time with their careers – there really isn't any demand", added Miller.

The new information in this study contradicts information from the US government Bureau of Labor and Statistics. According to the BLS Employment Projections 2010-2020 released in February 2012, the Registered Nursing workforce is the top occupation in terms of job growth through 2020. It is expected that the number of employed nurses will grow from 2.74 million in 2010 to 3.45 million in 2020, an increase of 712,000 or 26%. The projections further explain the need for 495,500 replacements in the nursing workforce bringing the total number of job opening for nurses due to growth and replacements to 1.2 million by 2020

Media Contact:
    Cathy Miller Nursing Degree.org, 6777547754, cathy_miller@nursingdegree.org
    News distributed by PR Newswire iReach: https://ireach.prnewswire.com

Every one who plans to pursue a nursing career should be inform about this "myth" so they will know what to expect after graduation and even passing the boards,that they will have preparations in finding a nursing job is not that easy!

There are two opposing information...which one is correct??

Quote Originally Posted by atlnurse477 View Post
    There are two opposing information...which one is correct??
    I can tell ya that my area is suffering a glut of nurses.

I think the nursing shortage is relative, a supply versus demand issue of economics just like the oil shortage was. Only this one will be killing people soon.

Well, Amy, I can say for sure no one is hiring out here. unless you're into the high stressed ICU/CCU/ER bit. And even then, the turnover is still high. Yet....local schools are chrning the grads out like mad. One of the girls who worked at a local bank graduated last May, and she's been told: No experience? Tough luck. Yet, how do you get experience if one doesn't get hired?

Well, Amy, I can say for sure no one is hiring out here. unless you're into the high stressed ICU/CCU/ER bit. And even then, the turnover is still high. Yet....local schools are chrning the grads out like mad. One of the girls who worked at a local bank graduated last May, and she's been told: No experience? Tough luck. Yet, how do you get experience if one doesn't get hired?

Oh, and I am sure that schools keep track of who gets hired.....

Amy, the "myth" is in the eye of the beholder and like any national concern, there is a glut of information circulating about speculating on causes and outcomes. As a trained nursing professional, you know how to evaluate the information for reliability. Looking critically, you will discern motives behind position statements like, "Nursing Shortage is a Myth." These are trying times for nurses and the job market is currently a fight for survival and the fittest will win. Persistence will pay off for those new grads however they will have to work in nursing homes, rehab centers, detention centers, night shift, start as per diem and so on.

R

I used to feel comfortable telling people who were asking about becoming a nurse, it's a great profession b/c you will always have the job of your choice. That is not the case anymore. I have a friend, who as a single mom in her 30's, went back to school to become an RN. I felt terrible when she could not get a job for 9 months once she graduated. Then when she did finally land a job, she was so stressed out about the high level of acuity of her patients, it was a nursing pool in a large hospital, and she was having to be trained in multiple specialties. To top that off, she was making far less money as a new grad nurse, than she had been waiting tables in an upscale restaurant, and now has tons of school debt. Very different than when I became a nurse 20 plus years ago.
    However I'm one of the nurses that has left nursing and pursued my own thing. I'm much happier. I just don't know if I can honestly tell young people to pursue a nursing degree anymore. Which is sort of sad!

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    The dynamics of the nursing shortage have changed and have followed economic trends. Just as the LVN was almost eliminated from acute practice so to are undergraduate RN's on their way out. One of the major problems is that health care reform which does not recognize the undergrad RN as a valued piece of the puzzle. IF you have the intestinal fortitude to take on grad school go after your advanced practice RN. The deep cuts in reimbursement that hospitals and doctors will have to accept over the next few years will mean tha hospital's have less money for training new grads. IF you are young enough I would suggest military service as a nurse at least you would get your experience in and come out a well seasoned nurse.

Hppy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast