Thread: Can I get into an MSN program after failing medical school?

Can I get into an MSN program after failing medical school?

Does anyone know if this happen? I failed a rotation towards the end of my 3rd year and was dismissed from school.

I know it's going to look really bad because I failed. I've also been told they aren't going to like that I went to med school first because it'll look like I'm settling for MSN/NP when I really wanted to be a doctor.

What do you guys think? I appreciate all input.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    I would think that it would largely depend on you circumstances and the school you are planning to attend. Let's say you failed because you became seriously ill, had death in the family or someother unforseeable event. A school might overlook your past failure as long as you still have the GPA to qualify. IF however, you failed due to isuues such as not completeing work, substance abuse related issues or breaking codes and rules then a new school may not look kindly on you.

My statedgy going in if an interview is required is to not say a lot about the past then is asked keep your answers short and to to point. Emphasize that you are a different person how you have grown etc....Stay away from the dirty details of what caused your failure.

You can only move forward if you step forward

Hppy

Quote Originally Posted by hppygr8ful View Post
    I would think that it would largely depend on you circumstances and the school you are planning to attend. Let's say you failed because you became seriously ill, had death in the family or someother unforseeable event. A school might overlook your past failure as long as you still have the GPA to qualify. IF however, you failed due to isuues such as not completeing work, substance abuse related issues or breaking codes and rules then a new school may not look kindly on you.

My statedgy going in if an interview is required is to not say a lot about the past then is asked keep your answers short and to to point. Emphasize that you are a different person how you have grown etc....Stay away from the dirty details of what caused your failure.

You can only move forward if you step forward

Hppy
    thanks for the advice