Thread: work life differences between RN and APN

work life differences between RN and APN

I am an undergraduate student pursuing a bachelor's degree in psychology, although I have no desire to have a career in psychology when I graduate. I didn't realize this until it was too late to change my major, so I am just sticking with it.
    I have been looking into some possible careers and graduate programs and I have become curious about nursing. There is a program at my community college to become an RN, and I have my associates from there, so I have taken all of the gen-eds already.
    The only thing I am worried about is the crazy shifts and endless paperwork. I already have sleep issues and am tired all the time. I feel like I would get so tired and make careless mistakes, which would obviously put people's health at risk.
    What I really want to know is the difference between daily, on-the-job life of a registered nurse and then someone with a master's (is the title nurse practitioner or advanced practice nurse?). Are the hours more regular with an advanced degree? Is the job just as hectic and crazy? Is there an overwhelming amount of paperwork?
    Help!
    -Rachel

Well, hospital nursing is very busy, hectic, 12 hour shifts and lots of computer charting.
    And a nurse practitioner has choices of working M-F regular hours in a specialty of their choice, IE, cardiology, ob/gyn, family practice, clinics....... they can also work ER but hours are usually long..
    Why are you considering nursing? psych nursing might fit you well, not as hectic as acute care...

I want to help people in a more concrete way. Psychology is so theoretical. I also like being busy and on my feet (just not for 12 hours!), and do not want an office or a desk job. So, a M-F 9-5 nursing job sounds perfect to me.

First , see what the job market is for NP in your area, make sure there are positions available.
    Other nursing jobs regular hours are case management, dialysis in MD office or hospital, visiting nurse. but you will need some experience first.... altho some dialysis jobs will train.
    Do you have an area of interest?

I am not sure, I have not done much research yet. This is a fairly new idea I had and I am just trying to figure out if its right for me.
    Actually, I got a little discouraged yesterday because someone told me about all of the gross parts of the job...I guess I glorified nursing a little; I thought the icky stuff was done by hospital staff lower on job chain.

Quote Originally Posted by rv062091 View Post
    I want to help people in a more concrete way. Psychology is so theoretical. I also like being busy and on my feet (just not for 12 hours!), and do not want an office or a desk job. So, a M-F 9-5 nursing job sounds perfect to me.
    try consider working on weekends, holidays and night shifts as well

Tower E, 1st Floor, DLF IT Park, Chandigarh – 160 101

INSCOL Academy

Hi
    Advanced practice nurses perform some tasks usually reserved for doctors that registered nurses cannot. Specific abilities vary depending on the specialty of the APN; they may include prescribing medication, ordering diagnostic tests, independently making diagnoses and administering anesthesia.

if you consider to take RN specializations in the future, take BSN..

i think there are nursing programs that would meet your needs. the program may credit your previous courses and would allow you to take a nursing program in lesser time.