Thread: Interested in becoming a CNA

Interested in becoming a CNA

What is the job market like for CNAs?

Is there a good way to get free training?

How does the day shift and night shift differ in your activities? Is the day or night shift more available? Or is it about the same?

Thank you!

I heard that night shifts have lots of free times? Is that true?

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    Having worked all shifts as both CNA and a Nurse I have to say that depending on the unit and needs of the patients nightshift tends to be a bit quieter because once the patients are alseep the staff try to minimize noise and activity to help the patients sleep and rest. Still you do have to complete your assigned duties and night shift has to do a lot of restocking and such that keeps them busy. If you are looking for a kick-back job in health care - I suggest you don't as any shift can turn into the shift from hell in seconds and you always have to be prepared for what ever comes up. I'm not sure if you are looking for a job with lots of free time so you don't have to work very hard or for another reason like usuing down time to study and further yourself. Eithe rway good - I am leaving nursing just as fast as I can come up with a feasable exit plan. What has happened in healthcare is so throughly disgusting in terms of access and affordability since the people were hoodwinked into voting for Obama shows that people deserve waht they get.

So before I go off on a rant with real world examples of what I'm talking about I'll sign off....

Hppy

Yes I was thinking of using that time for studying for example programming to make my own website and get into online entrepreneurship.
    Are you aware of any jobs that does have lots of free time?

Are these types of jobs pretty common? (Someone mentioned on another forum about how these jobs have a tons of free time) Would you say that as long as you get your CNA certificate, these types of jobs where most of the shift is free time are plentiful?

When I was a CNA I worked for a home health company, and some of the overnight companion jobs allowed TONS of free time.

One job was come in at 10pm, sit in a dimly lit room (with book + book light) and monitor an Alzheimer patient during the night (in case he tried to get up). Only a few times did he wake up confused, and I redirected him back to bed or called staff to help him (the facility was responsible for changing him, we just prevented falls). That lasted about a year.

Another was an elderly paraplegic - I would arrive at his house at 8pm, watch TV with him until 10pm, do a twenty minute routine to get him to bed (bathroom, transfer, etc), then I went to my room (I had a private bedroom/bathroom/shower etc) and monitor him via baby monitor during the night. I was allowed to sleep (just turning the radio up high incase he yelled for me),,,usually I brought my laptop and talked online to my wife each night, then sleep at around 2am, wake up at 7am, shower, wake him up and the next shift would arrive and begin cooking breakfast.