Thread: If you have a 4 year college degree, will you be overqualified for CNA?

If you have a 4 year college degree, will you be overqualified for CNA?

I heard that people don't want to hire people who they think is overqualified and might want to move onto another field as soon as they find a job that they are qualified for. However I have a Bachelor of Arts (liberal arts) degree with very little career opportunities so I am worried that they might not hire me based on the fact that I have a degree.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    These days alot of people are reinventing themselves. CNA is basically a stepping stone position for a lot of people looking a careers in health care. So I would worry about being over qualified on the basis of a liberal arts degree. IMHO as a holder of degrees in arts and letters and dead languages I wasn't qualified to do anything but teach So I went to nursing school to get a career. Just humble yourself to the work and pursue your career goals.

Hppy

It's not so. May be your education will help you in your career. Going with Certified Nursing Assistant will definitely give you good prospects in the field of healthcare. So, you need not worry about that. Dedication towards the job is something which every field demands, irrespective of your education or your fields of interest. If you work with complete dedication, it is possible that you achieve a good market position in this field.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    If you are an RN applying for a CNA job, I'd say yeah.

Greetings and Salutations,

I currently hold a Bachelors Degree in Human Services (BSHS) and currently work as a CNA/RNA. Truth be told at the interview all the directors called me "overqualified". I had to tenaciously convince them that it would not impose any threat to management and serve the patients to better their care. I am happy to report that yes, they hired me and within three weeks on the job I have already been promoted to RNA and Social Services Assistant.

I wish to encourage you to pursue your educational goals and assure you that you can make a positive difference with your education and experiences. I wish you the very best in all your life endeavors.

“The world is not interested in what we do for a living. What they are interested in is what we have to offer freely - hope, strength, love and the power to make a difference! ”
    Sasha Azevedo

=Jerm Pan=

One thing I have found is that you do not have to give a potential employer any more information than they need to make an informed decision when hiring you. By NO means am I saying lie about anything. If I have a degree in engineering and I have fallen on rough times and really need to take a janitorial job on short notice, there is no need to list any info about your degree. They way I learned is you only give information that you feel is pertinent to the position. I don't list any summer jobs as a teen...... or a past job that has no bearing on what I am applying for. For myself I have a lot of experience in different fields so it doesn't make sense for me to list everything. However having a degree shows that you have the "sticktuitiveness" to finish what you start. Many employers value that as well.... I know I do. BUT that's just my two cents. Best of luck :-)
    https://advancedfunnelsystem.com/home