Thread: Hey

Unhappy Hey

I've been traveling for over 13 years and now I find myself unable to find a job. I have my ADN, but it seems people want a BS over experience especially in the permanent setting. I have 17 years of experience and it is so frustrating. I'm starting to get disappointed in the nursing profession as a whole which is something I don't want to do.

Hi Ozz,

Sadly the nursing market is tightening the reign on qualifications. No doubt you are a well qualified nurse with excellent skills and I'm sorry that you're finding it difficult to locate a job. My recommendation is based upon what you envision your occupational future to be. If you want to stay in the nursing industry, enroll in a BSN or higher program because as you have experienced, it is expected. I know, because after 27 years, I completed a BSN and am currently enrolled in a MSN-FNP program. I have probably 20 more years to go in the workforce before retirement and after 30+ years in critical care, I feel that family practice is where I belong.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Welcome to the site!

Yeah, it's tough out there.....TRUST me! I've posted quite a few posts about 'What nursing shortage?' out there.

Hope to see you around here often.

BTW, I have a degree.....

I'm where you are. I have 26 years of experience with 23 years in my field. Difficulty finding a staff position but not wanting to travel anymore. Can't return to school because I don't have the money. Unemployed at present, may not have any choice but to take another travel position. But even those are more scant than they used to be. Also I'm not young anymore, do I want to go into debt to keep a lateral position. Since I'm getting older, will it be that financially feasible? And a masters? I never ever want to be in hospital management and I don't have a desire to be a NP. And really NP should have Doctorate in their near future as well. But I do wish you luck, hopefully something will come your way soon.
    Last edited by gypsynurse; 06-24-2013 at 08:04 PM.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Quote Originally Posted by gypsynurse View Post
    I'm where you are. I have 26 years of experience with 23 years in my field. Difficulty finding a staff position but not wanting to travel anymore. Can't return to school because I don't have the money. Unemployed at present, may not have any choice but to take another travel position. But even those are more scant than they used to be. Also I'm not young anymore, do I want to go into debt to keep a lateral position. Since I'm getting older, will it be that financially feasible? And a masters? I never ever want to be in hospital management and I don't have a desire to be a NP. And really NP should have Doctorate in their near future as well. But I do wish you luck, hopefully something will come your way soon.
    I agree with you on the further schooling bit. It's not in my future, either.