Thread: potential interest in nursing

potential interest in nursing

Hi there,

I am new to this forum, and new to the nursing field in general.

Currently I am a software developer for a large corporate and investment bank, with a relatively high salary (6 figures) and a lower levle executive position. I can effectively work with practically ever programming language in use today. However I am wanting something more in my life, I would like my career to have a more tangible impact on people's lives, something more important than economics. I recently realized that nurses are supposedly in high demand. This seems like a field that can be challenge, high paced, exciting, and filled with lots of personal rewards... I truly want to come home even if I am exhausted feeling like I helped someone with their life that day. And the money to me is not the main factor when looking for a career.

I have excellent leadership, problem solving, mathematics, science, and engineering skills. Also I am very good under pressure... at least with the activities I have had to be good with under pressure at this point in my life. And I am relatively good with people though I am considered shy. I'm very service oriiented, hard working and dedicated.

I have little to no medical knowledge or experience however, and I spent most of my time in college being bored, I never finished my degree, leaving college during my senior year in an Electrical Engineering program, so the prospect of continued education is daunting. And I know little currently about nursing, it just looks like in the long run this could be a viable option for a career change.

How intense are the educational requirements for nursing? Is there some place or something I can do to find out more of what it is like before visiting a local university? Any good information on the internet of what the day in the life of a nurse who is male is like. I realize there might still be some old attitudes directed at male nurses... how prevalent is this? However, I really don't care what people think about me, as long as they take my work seriously.

Also just out of curiosity, does my technical background bring anything to the table? I am guessing not, but it never hurts to ask.

Thank you for your time and thoughts.

What to expect and what you can bring

As a nurse of 21 years and presently in middle management for 4 years I think you could bring a lot to the profession. Rational thinking, prioritizing, a desire to care for others and maturity are trusted and necessary skills in our chosen field. Educational requirements will be a committment that you will have to put yourself out there for. Sorry I know of no place where you can "play nurse" to see if it is for you. I have been at it for many years and have worked in many areas; I have never been bored, defeated, felt like a failure or decided it was not worth it. I have been bone tired, sad, frustrated, overworked, understaffed and emotionally drained. This is a job worth all of the above mentioned and many I left out but it is not for everybody. I wish you the best.

Member Extraordinaire

Re: potential interest in nursing

Quote Originally Posted by demosthenes
    Hi there,
    Also just out of curiosity, does my technical background bring anything to the table? I am guessing not, but it never hurts to ask.
    Thank you for your time and thoughts.
    There is lots of high tech equipment out there for the nursing field as well as computer programs for charting, order entry & communication.

Check with your local university and see what the required course work is and what you may have taken before that would transfer and be acceptable for their nursing program. You'll need math and science, English, social sciences and nursing classes.

If you have the time and money to take off from your regular job you could look for CNA classes that are usually provided (in my area) by nursing homes who then hire you (at that low pay rate someone else posted about) then you could work with basic patient care and see how you liked that before going for the nursing classes. There is alot of competition to get into nursing schools so previous experience in the CNA role could help.