Thread: sugary drinks and obesity

sugary drinks and obesity

source: http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2013/0...ore/?hpt=he_c2

Study: Kids who drink soda, juice weigh more
    There's a strong link between sugary drinks and obesity. Scientific studies have shown that adults who consume more sugar-sweetened beverages tend to have higher body mass indexes, or BMIs, than their water-drinking counterparts.

But until now, this association hadn't been closely examined in kids younger than 5.

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that young children avoid all sugar-sweetened beverages. A new study, published in the organization's journal Pediatrics, offers further evidence to support that recommendation.

The study

Researchers analyzed data from the Early Childhood Longitudinal Survey, which follows more than 10,000 children who were born in 2001. For this study, Dr. Mark DeBoer and his colleagues used information from 9,600 children who were examined at 2 years, 4 years and 5 years old.

The children's parents were asked about their kids' beverage intake, the family's race/ethnicity and socioeconomic status, and the children's television or video viewing habits, among other things. The children's height and weight were also recorded at each examination.

Kids who drank one or more sugar-sweetened beverage per day were categorized as regular "SSB" drinkers. The term "sugar-sweetened beverage" included soda, sports drinks and fruit drinks that were not 100% fruit juice.

The results

Overall, the researchers found relatively few young children who drank sugar-sweetened beverages. About 9% of 2-year-olds, 13% of 4-year-olds and 11% of 5-year-olds were regular drinkers. They found more consumption among non-Hispanic black and Hispanic children and in families with a lower socioeconomic status.

Researchers did not find a link between sugar-sweetened beverage consumption and obesity when the kids were 2 years old. But they saw a different result in their 4- and 5-year-old study participants. Regular SSB drinkers at this age were more likely to be overweight or obese than infrequent drinkers.

The study authors also found that children who drank more than one sugar-sweetened beverage daily at age 2 had a greater increase in BMI by age 4.

The weight results may be linked to other discoveries the researchers made. Children who were regular SSB consumers were more likely to have a mother who was overweight or obese. They were also more likely to watch more than two hours of television a day.

On a side note, the researchers also found that kids who drank sugar-sweetened beverages regularly were less prone to drinking milk, which could "underscore additional nutritional problems," the study authors wrote.

Caveats

The data collected in the Early Childhood Longitudinal Survey are based on parents' answers to questions, so kids could have consumed more (or fewer) sugar-sweetened beverages than parents reported.

The study authors did also not have access to information about the children's overall calorie intake or physical activity, which may have played a role in their weight.

Recommendations

This study "further raises the need for pediatricians and care providers to strongly discourage SSB consumption in early childhood," the authors wrote. "Additionally, from a public health standpoint, strong consideration should be made toward policy changes leading to decreases in SSB consumption in children."

In a complementary editorial, also published in Pediatrics, Dr. Anisha Patel and Lorrene Ritchie say that "to date, most SSB policy discussion has neglected the youngest children." They note that beverage policies have been implemented in many workplaces and a majority of school districts but haven't been introduced in community settings such as day care or park systems.

Patel and Ritchie recommend:

• Establishing healthy vending standards for parks.
    • Making milk or water the default for restaurant kids' meals.
    • Providing training for child care providers.
    • Promoting water in the government's My Plate materials.
    • Prohibiting marketing of sugar-sweetened beverages to children.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Thanks for the story, amy.

Honestly, I think the parents have alot to do with the 'sugary drinks'. Note: some, but not all.

Why do I say that? I did note where you posted about using the guidelines. Yes, parents can control what all their kids drink. Out where I am, a gallon of milk (2%, let's say) can go from $1.88 to over $3.00 a gallon. And that is conservative, and not including the 'organic' stuff on sale, not to mention the store one frequents.

KoolAid was great when I was a kid, but if one buys the unsweetened, and then uses less than the usual amount of sugar?

Just some thoughts.

Water is good, very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricu View Post
    Water is good, very good.
    yes it it is very true.

sugary drinks not only causes obesity but may also trigger diseases like diabetes and UTI.

btw, am I allowed to post news like this one? im just concerned about copyright stuff. I just copied this from a site because I believe this is worth sharing

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Heck, I post 'em as I see 'em. Just give credit where credit is due.

Has anyone considered how much is consumed? One glass? 2? Or is it an all day thing?

Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    Heck, I post 'em as I see 'em. Just give credit where credit is due.

Has anyone considered how much is consumed? One glass? 2? Or is it an all day thing?
    thanks cougarnurse. im just concerned coz ive been active in other forums as well sharing significant nursing news and other stuff to make other nurses updated with the current events yet, im often branded as a spammer for making such posts haha

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    It's an interesting article - My son is a husky kid but he only drinks one sugar sweetened drink a week. He also works out three days a week in a very intense MMA program. His doctor told us to not give him milk either as she says it's pure milk sugar and very fattening. So he drinks mostly water. At 11 years old he's 110 pounds and can run e a mile in 7 minutes and does 60 pushups in 2 minutes.

Some weight issues are a product of heredity.

Hppy

true! some are born with bigger bone structures too..

Consumption of sugary drinks or beverages indeed highly increases your chance of getting fat or obese as it adds up extra calories. It increases your chances for diabetes, tooth decays, and other health complications. What we need to know is that it can affect our brains too with the increase sugar surge it brings to our body. Check this out on how it can impact short term memory:

https://sachscenter.com/sugarcarbs-i...t-term-memory/