Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: daily health tips for nurses!

Get your brain fizzing with energy. American researchers coined the term ‘neurobics’ for tasks which activate the brain's own biochemical pathways and to bring new pathways online that can help to strengthen or preserve brain circuits. Brush your teeth with your ‘other’ hand, take a new route to work or choose your clothes based on sense of touch rather than sight. People with mental agility tend to have lower rates of Alzheimer's disease and age-related mental decline.

Garlic, onions, spring onions and leeks all contain stuff that’s good for you.
    A study at the Child’s Health Institute in Cape Town found that eating raw garlic helped fight serious childhood infections.
    Heat destroys these properties, so eat yours raw, wash it down with fruit juice or, if you’re a sissy, have it in tablet form.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nurseamyg View Post
    Garlic, onions, spring onions and leeks all contain stuff that’s good for you.
    A study at the Child’s Health Institute in Cape Town found that eating raw garlic helped fight serious childhood infections.
    Heat destroys these properties, so eat yours raw, wash it down with fruit juice or, if you’re a sissy, have it in tablet form.
    Interesting but have you ever tried to get a kid to eat raw onions or garlic!

Tomato is a superstar in the fruit and veggie pantheon. Tomatoes contain lycopene, a powerful cancer fighter. They’re also rich in vitamin C. The good news is that cooked tomatoes are also nutritious, so use them in pasta, soups and casseroles, as well as in salads. The British Thoracic Society says that tomatoes and apples can reduce your risk of asthma and chronic lung diseases. Both contain the antioxidant quercetin. To enjoy the benefits, eat five apples a week or a tomato every other day.

let the child take the tablet form or the capsulized form instead

But taking tablets or capsules defeats the purpose of fresh whole Garlc and onions. I love garlic - fried roasted sautéed I put in in just about everything I cook heck I even made garlic ice cream once......

I put up about 100 quarts of tomatoes about a week ago. Must have sweated off 20 pounds standing ove my canner

Here's a health tip

Whenever possible grow your own food. Buy seeds that are non GMO and plant every space you have with delicious fruits and vegetables. During the spring and summer we grow about 50% of what we eat and If the city would let me keep chickens we'd have eggs too.

When buying meat look for free range, grass fed beef pork and chicken. Don't be fooled by a cage free label - Cage free chickens are often kept in large warehouses and never seen the sun. Meat from animals raised in cages and feed lots have a higher lever of stress hormones. Also do not buy Fish from large chains like Walmart. They raise their Salmon in offshore nets cages and fatten them on corn. The fatty acids are so low you might as well be eating beef.

Just thought I'd put that out there

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Hppy, not sure if you ever read the Little House books. I'd gotten a copy of the cookbook several years ago, and thought you'd be interested in what was mentioned: many of the plants (corn, wheat. etc) nowadays have been GMO.

However
    , if you think about it, that has made the resulting plants more resistant to blight, insect destruction, etc.

Remember Laura and family had dealt with crop failure too many times?

thanks for sharing guys!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast