Thread: Hateful letter sent to autistic child's caregiver

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Hateful letter sent to autistic child's caregiver

I am going to duck, for the oncoming onslaught of Hppy's wrath. http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...171036930.html

Ontario police are aware of a disgustingletter sent to a woman caring for an autistic child by another woman who wanted the "wild animal kid" out of her neighbourhood, even if it meant killing the child. The hateful letter was reportedly sent last week to a resident of Newcastle, Ont., just east of Toronto, who hosts her 13-year-old grandson, Max, during summer days.

Mother Karley Begley spoke with CityNews and broke down in tears as she tried to read the letter.
    The letter was re-posted on Twitter by Lennon and Maisy, a young Ontario singing duo who also star on ABC's Nashville.

The post has been retweeted more than 3,000 times.

Durham Regional Police told Yahoo! Canada News that a report was filed on Friday and an investigation is ongoing.

"We are certainly taking it seriously," spokesperson Jodi MacLean said on Monday.

"We are consulting with the Crown to see if there is any criminality that went on with the letter."
    A close family friend has an autistic boy and this was an anonymous letter slipped under her door. This is real. pic.twitter.com/VyRb2oqPrG
    — Lennon and Maisy (@lennonandmaisy) August 19, 2013

From its tone, the letter might be considered anything from abusive to threatening or perhaps even criminal. It is addressed to "the lady living at this address" and signed, "One pissed off mother!!!!*"
    *The number, but not the frequency, of exclamation and question marks used in the letter has been approximated in this post. It reads:
    I also live in this neighbourhood and have a problem!!!! You have a kid that is mentally handicapped and you consciously decided that it would be a good idea to live in a close proximity neighgbourhood like this???? You selfishly put your kid outside everyday and let him be a nothing but a nuisance and a problem to everyone else with that noise polluting whaling he constantly makes!!! That noise he makes when he is outside is DREADFUL!!!!!!!!!! It scares the hell out of my normal children!!!!!!!!!
    The letter goes on to state:
    Crying babies, music and even barking dogs are normal sounds in a residential neighbourhood!!!!! He is NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    He is a nuisance to everyone and will always be that way!!!!!! Who the hell is going to care for him????????? No employer will hire him, no normal girl is going to marry/love him and you are not going to live forever!!
    T]hey should take whatever non retarded body parts he possesses and donate it to science. What the hell else good is he to anyone!!!!
    You had a retarded kid, deal with it... properly!!!!! What right do you have to do this to hard working people!!!!!!!!!
    I HATE people like you who believe, just because you have a special needs kid, you are entitled to special treatment!!! GOD!!!!
    Go live in a tralier in the woods or something with your wild animal kid!!! Nobody wants you living here and they don't have the guts to tell you!!!!!
    Do the right thing and move or euthanize him!!! Either way, we are ALL better off!!!
    According to CityNews, the neighbourhood has come out in support of the Begley family and is trying to determine who sent the letter. The reaction on Twitter was no less severe.

Just awful.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    I saw this last night and was appalled that someone would write such a thing. Though I wasn't surprised. I work closely with the intellectually disabled population and have seen the prejudice that exists. (Like a restaurant manager asking a caregiver to take a person with CP out of the restaurant because a customer complained he was losing his appetite looking at him.

It does not excuse the letter in any way - but to play devil's advocate - This child most likely needs to have some early intervention which is offered through free government programs nationwide. Such program provide caregiver respite and PT, OT, ST etc... to help the Autistic child cope with the frightening world they find themselves. If in fact this child is being left screaming in the front yard that is abusive. Every parent of a disabled child has a duty to seek out these programs. Our own company offers these services to the intellectually disabled from age 1 to their death, and we accept no payment from the families. Still our industry is facing a big shake-up with the advent of healthcare reform. Which will suck a huge amount of money from our programs to fund Healthcare to people who are too lazy to go to work and provide for themselves.

Hppy

Side note, hppy: doesn't Canada have the same insane insurance that the UK does? Food for thought.

I like to say what goes around, comes around. Hope that the writer of that letter doesn't get theirs.....

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    Side note, hppy: doesn't Canada have the same insane insurance that the UK does? Food for thoought
    You mean the same insane insurance we are all going to have after January 1, 2014

I refuse to open my yap, as I will then NOT be able to shut myself up.