Thread: Considering Starting a Travel Nurse Career!

Considering Starting a Travel Nurse Career!

Hello all! I'm considering making the switch to travel nursing next spring and am in the research phase now. At that times, I will have had 4 years of general nursing experience (1 in a rural clinic in Honduras, 2 on Tele/PCU, 1 in ER). I was just looking for some input. Since my experience has been broad, but not in one specific field for a super long period of time, is that enough experience to travel?

I have also heard of some companies allowing up to a month off in between assignments without losing benefits, what do you guys know as far as that goes? Any other input or suggestions for someone just starting out would be helpful! Thanks!

When I did travel nursing most of the benefits were the same. There was maybe a difference in travel reimbursement if you didn't need a rental car or if you arranged your own housing. For the most part they paid for everything except cable. They would give you so much for travel or if you had to make your own travel for a short notice contract they would pay all for the flights. There are usually other travelers there so you can *network* on companies and places to avoid. You have to know that if they have resorted to travelers at their higher costs that there is a problem there. You just go in and do your job. Don't get into the politics. Do the best job you can for your patients!!! If the deal seems to good to be true ... it is just that.You need to make sure you have guaranteed hours and length of contract. I would suggest for the first contract you stay within 7 hrs of drive time to home. That way you can still drive home if it is a hard contract. I did travel nursing for 7 of my 30 yrs of nursing and I had only 2 contracts that I hated. I finished them and never broke a contract. You should go with an established company then google them for their reputation. Go to sites like this to see if they are on the hit list for ones to avoid. I would not try to do my own housing until you have the feel for it. You can go to sites like this for places that are good and VS. Also with companies that are good and those that are bad. I will tell you that you should avoid Emerald Coast Agency and in the past Faststaff had a bad repution as well as cross country agency. Good Luck!!!! My most favorite contracts were in Santa Rosa CA and New London CT so if you could go there that would be awesome!!! Nina

What level ER/hospital are you in? That's going to make a big difference in a travel ED job. PCU/tele , again, what acuity. Some PCU's as in a big hospital, you get ICU type patients, while, smaller hospitals the PCU is easier, be aware community vs. teaching hospitals and trauma centers. Most likely no one cares about the rural job... hospitals only care bout hospital nursing for travel. 1 year ED is not a whole lot. Anyway, contact travel companies now and check their websites for job availability... and yes you can take a month off in between assignments, but, you will have to pay for the health insurance... company ends that, when the assignment is done