Thread: Difficult docs

Difficult docs

I welcome advice on getting along w/docs who are offended when nurses inform them of things within guidelines

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    I would suggest talking with a supervisor first. Mention the 'problem' to her, and see if saying. 'Per our policy. XYZ is happening.' would be OK.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Try this

Quote Originally Posted by RN1967 View Post
    I welcome advice on getting along w/docs who are offended when nurses inform them of things within guidelines
    I once had a doc order a very big dose of IM Thorazine for a ten year old who was pretty psychotic. I informed him that Thorazine was contraindicated in children under 15 due to the high incidence of sudden cardiac death. He told me "I don't care, give the shot" I refused and gave him the syringe. I said If you want the patient to have it you give it. We had a pretty contentious professional relationship but he finally came to understand that I was more up to date on the clinical research than he was and he came to respect me for it.

Bottom line don't let a doctor bully you into doing something to a patient that you know isn't right. You are the patient's advocate and unless you work in a Doctor's office - you don't work for doctors.

Hppy

A doctor once made his disdain for me known whenever I accompanied my home care client and his mom on appointments. He totally ignored me, wouldn't look toward me, or even give a perfunctory greeting. Since he was lazy to boot (as verified by mother's reports of inability to get him to take routine actions on orders), I continued to do as much as possible from my end, but I grew to somewhat resent the extra documentation required because he would not pick up the ball when in his court. In other words, I dealt with him by doing part of his job. Unnecessary, if he would have shown more interest in his patient or what he was doing. I could easily see where this man would not have succeeded in another line of work.