Thread: Did you know what type of nursing career you wanted before school?

Did you know what type of nursing career you wanted before school?

I have been looking into becoming an RN for over the past year. There's so many different areas that I'm really interested in, specifically oncology or the OR. I want to go into school prepared for which position I may end up in and do not want to waste my time with degrees or classes that aren't necessary for me in the long run, or ones that would prolong the completion. Or did you just fall upon your decision in the middle of nursing school? I was suggested to complete my ASN and then my hospital should pay for me to complete my BSN. But I feel as if my ASN will take three years, I might as well just jump in and finish my BSN first.

Then I entertained the idea of possibly going into Med school. My only concern is that I'm newly engaged and I do plan on having kids in the near future. I do not think that will mix well with Med school. But I would like the possibility of maybe finishing my BSN and then going into Med at some point. Even though I would feel like completing my BSN would be a complete waste. Would that be?

I'm really not sure on which direction to go. I've gone to school and am close to having a BS in fashion, so I have all of my general education classes complete as well. I don't want to waste anymore time or money for college.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Welcome to the site!

Many of my classmates 'knew' what they wanted to do, but then again, some changed mid stream, so to speak. I remember one decided on Rheab instead of OR.

Did you ever consider doing fashion for nursing, or people with disabilities/cancer, etc?

Sorry so short, but pressed for time right now.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    I kind of wanted to do ER when I was in school as I came from and EMT street background - Then went LDRP right out of school. After two years and lots of trauma I gravited to psych and have been doing that for the last ten years of my practice - you just gotta love crazy people.

Hppy

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    I should add: Keep an open mind during your rotations!

I wouldn't continue anything with fashion.

Oncology has been my top choice for over the past year. Lately, I've been researching further into forensics and medical examination/investigation but that seems like a difficult position to obtain one day. Then comes the OR or ER. I have a gut feeling I will stick with Oncology. But no matter what type of position I'll be looking for, I will have to be certified as an RN, right?