Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LPN vs RN

Anonymous

Re: LPN vs RN

Excellent idea.

WR,,, three commas for Becca

I am an RN working in Intensive Care. I spent 6 years as an LPN prior to becoming an RN. I work just as hard as an RN, trust me! I don't think that it is a requirement that one is lazy in order to pass the NCLEX and write the initials RN behind your name. It is simply a personality issue. Someone just needs to light a fire under their tail. Or make them do primary care!!!!

im going to school as we speak to become an lpn. im a cna now. you people talk about lpn's and rn's working oh so hard. well from personal experience, i know better. ive worked in many hospitals and nursing homes. the cna does all the work while the nurses sit on the their butt at the nurses station. so the nurses have to do the meds and the paperwork and dressing changes, well believe me, i'd do that over having 30 patients to myself to dress, transfere, feed, shower and change any day. which is why im becoming an lpn. The pay is a lot better for doing a lot less. A lot of the nurses i have dealt with treated me like i didnt have a brain in my head when in all reality i had more education and not only in the medical field.

Anonymous

I hear what you are saying. I was an LPN and thought the same about RN's. Now that I'm an RN I think differently.

I have to go back to that old saying.."Walk a mile in my shoes" Remember there are lazy people in every group. I know when I worked in LTC and the hospital many times the CNA's would say someone had refused to "get up" or walk when in reality the CNA didn't want to be bothered. Please don't pit groups against each other. It doesn't foster a team or help with the work.

Good luck with LPN school

There are many certificates vs. degrees in colleges that differentiate like the LPN vs. RN curriculums.
    However, this is where I think the similarity ends. The difference for most Certificate Vs. Degrees is a smattering of additional classes like English and Math, speech, etc. However, there is a difference in the core Nursing Program and puts the RN's in the lead initially. After one becomes an LPN, it seems that they get a lot of the same training in the hospital environment and within 5 to 10 years (just a ballpark figure) they know as much as the RN's. I think those that are LPN's should be given an 'honorary' RN degree after accomplishing a certain amount of clinical work and if they can pass the RN exam, its theirs to have.
    What do you all think?

P.S. I'm not an LPN or RN but am in school in the RN Nursing Program.

Member Extraordinaire

there are ADN programs LPNs can go to and just take a summer course then the last year of the ADN program to get those extra clinical hours.
    True many LPNs know what RNs know but the scope of practice is different and there are a few things LPN's haven't been trained to do. Just like the difference in clinical experiences of ADN and BSN and even the difference from school to school.

Anonymous

After having taken the LPN boards I felt IMHO that if I had read a good med/surg book I could have passed those boards.

After having taken the RN board I felt IMHO one year as an LPN and I could have passed those boards. I just don't think either of them were that hard.. Alot of it is just plain old common sense.. Sorry JMHO.

The boards don't make you an expert LPN or RN.. They tell the world you are competent to practice.

Ever notice a brand new driver irregardless of their age.. They have a license but I'd prefer to stay out of their way.

This is why I've always thought nursing should be an apprenticeship or go back to the 3 FULL year training of the Diploma Programs. Wish they were around when I decided to go RN.

I consider myself a good test taker. I took a test here on the net once about computers.. I can get on the internet and I can surf and chat that's about it..Heck I can't even cut and paste in word.. And I got a 75% grade on the test. Enough to take the courses offered. Now I'm sure it was "easy" so I would spend my monney...But WTH is a, network,,,, anyway..

JMHO

Actually, it kind of scares me at how little one has to really know to pass the boards. IMHO...

Member Extraordinaire

I agree with the good test taker. I did the old 4 paper tests and we had several hours to take each test. I was done in 45 minutes. I also worked as a student every weekend during school and all summer and some week nights during school too. There are still things everyday where I say gee I hope I didn't miss something or something isn't right here but I'm not quite sure what.

Hi Jeannie,
    I can see where you are coming about the LPN's that have been around for a while. I am an RN student like yourself, but I worked in an ER for about a year and I would certainly agree that there were several LPN's that knew as much or more as some of the newer RN's. But at the same time, some of the RN's that had been there a while seemed to know as much as the doctor's! It is just like with any other company, I think. I believe that people are eventually going to learn their craft if they take the time to do so. However, I don't agree with the honorary degree. I think any type of honorary degree, in any field, devalues the degree of the people that actually go to school and study their butts off for it! While LPN's are grossly underpaid in many situations, if they are going to be an RN, then they should have to complete the schooling to have the title. Just as an RN with an AS should have to go to school to complete the BSN. There are many programs to bridge the gap between what they have already learned from experience in order to make it easier to get a higher degree. I understand that life circumstances such as children, finances, etc. sometimes prevent people from going back to school, but I don't think they should be given the option of just working somewhere for a while and then getting a title. There are always people in every field that do just what is required to keep the job. This was very apparent while I was in the Navy...a lot of people just "existed" because they were still going to get a paycheck. It would not be fair for those people to be promoted after a certain amount of time in service just because of the amount of time that they have been there...just as it would not be fair to the LPN's that were working hard to do their job and being motivated to go back to school to get that higher degree to see the person that just comes to work and does the bare minimum to be promoted after 10 years to an RN. Bottom line, if you want to have a certain title, that title's pay and that title's position, then you have to earn it.
    Hope that didn't come off too harsh!
    Kristy

What do you love about nursing?

Do you love what you do?

Do you love the way residents smile?

These are not questions pulled out of thin air. They directly affect our productivity, our attitudes, our income, our success and our fulfilment -- not to mention our longevity in our profession.

Many care home staff are reluctant to come to grips with why they are in nursing and why they are in their present job. Some people will respond, "I'm in it for the money." Some will say, "I need the money." Others will respond, "I have bills to pay and debt to overcome."

But where's the passion? If you don't love what you do, you're doing no one a favour by staying in your present position. Your attitude and morale will be negative, you'll complain about everything and you'll blame everyone else for your unhappiness and inadequacy.

Also, your boss will be all over you to increase your numbers. And customers will be upset about your lack of attention. In general, you will rise only to a level of mediocrity.

Are you thinking yet?

Some people in nursing hate their job but stay because they "make a lot of money." That's the worst reason to keep a job. When money is your motive, then you’re just putting in your time without regard to building key relationships -- a formula for long-term disaster.

You may have some short-term success, but when you're home at night, you'll be drowning your misery in television, beer and anything but preparation for the next day. You can get away with that behaviour for a short time, but in the end, you'll be looking in the "Help Wanted" section of the paper or posting your resume online, hoping for a better opportunity.

It's interesting that people in nursing that are looking for a better opportunity are the very ones not looking in their own back yard. Most people fail to realize that when they become the best they can be, they will attract the right energy, rather than having to fight for it.

Here’s a formula for success nursing at its best is not a profession or a job; it is you at your best.

It's about becoming the best you can be in each job you commit to. If you're going to leave for another job, why don't make your mark before you walk out the door?
    If things are low or mediocre where you are now, what makes you think they will be better someplace else? The formula involves more than simply loving what you do; it's also about possessing the skills to do what you love (or dedicating yourself to getting them).

Once you've determined what you love to do and dedicate yourself to getting the skills, the third part is about believing. You must believe in your company, service -- and in yourself. That way, your message will be delivered so enthusiastically that others will catch your passion. A deep self-belief will create enthusiasm and passion.
    The final component is your attitude. Attitude starts from within. It's the mood you're in when you wake up in the morning, the mood you stay in all day long and the mood you're in when you go to bed.

But attitude is not a feeling. It is a lifelong dedication to the study of positive thought and the character/charisma that you display as you interact with others. If it's not internal, it can never be external.

Here’s a challenge starting today, instead of looking at the negatives try and compliment someone or make the time to help them with their work load without grumping at the end of the day someone else’s best may not be your best but either way the job always gets done doesn’t it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast