Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LPN vs RN

Anonymous

Re: LPN vs RN

Excellent post.

Today I was taking care of a 93 year old male dialysis patient.. He brought his lunch. I opened the egg salad sandwich he had.. I said whoa that smells good.. This little old man said, "You can have half if you want it"

I almost cried.. That's why I stay.

WR,,, three commas for Becca

I belive there are some RN's that don't work as hard as LPN's and then there are many who work just as hard. I'm and LPN and I work with RN's LPN's and CCA's (or PCW's).
    I think all of us make contributions to the nursing care the residents recieve and without anyone of the three, things would be a lot harder. Personally I've worked both as an LPN and as a CCA and I find physically the CCA work is much more demanding but being an LPN is just as demanding just not on my back...don't get me wrong I still help out on the floors when I'm not passing out meds, charting, dsg wounds, taking vitals, giving enemas/suppositories, or assessing client.......
    I just find my work very busy and most of the RN's are just as busy and although we do a lot of the same things he/she does get paid more for a reason...in my work the RN is responsible to be everywhere and do all levels of work including supervising all the staff and making the important decisions.
    I think there are probably LPN's that could do RN's jobs well, as there are RN's who could do Dr.'s jobs well and CCA who have done LPN's jobs (in the past )well but there has to be a divide and education is that divide.
    As far as pay goes well LPN's are underpaid but Its not the RN's who decided our rate.

I love my work because I get to know people and share in their lives, sometimes I even get to make it better and as much as I joke about being a "pill pusher" I know not everyone could do what I do and do it well. I also know that when someones calls for a nurse they are just as happy to see me as the RN and most of the elderly I care for don't differentiate between us, they don't see the title just the care they recieve and that makes me smile.

Has anyone in this group done thier Lpn to R.N Online and if so did you did it through a so call: Studysmart!aka Excelsior College and if so did you have to to any composition class or study???

I just came across this forum and find it interesting to hear the different opinions about RN'S AND LPN'S. I've been a LPN for some time now. It's a shame that nursing schools are taking money from people to become LPN'S. All the LPN schools should be shut down and people should be encouraged to get an RN degree. In my opinion most LPN'S I've worked with have the same degree of expertise as the RN'S. Spend the extra money. People don't view LPN'S as "REAL" nurses just glorified nurses aides. It's a real shame and certainly isn't the case. LPN'S know their stuff and get a bum rap!

I worked as a CNA for over a year while going to school for LPN. Being a LPN or RN isn't easy in the least. There is a evergrowing stack of paperwork that goes along with every little thing that you do. There's an enormous amount of responsibility that goes along with those letters behind a nurses' name. Not only can one bad night leave you nearly in tears and ready to pull your hair out, mistakes made can lead to disciplinary action against your license or you can be personally sued by a family member or patient. Those letters bring along with them an enormous amount of stress.
    CNA work can be emotionally stressful but the main stress is physical. There are lazy nurses out there, I've worked with a few as a CNA and as a LPN. But just because they are at the desk and appear to be "doing nothing" doesn't mean they aren't doing anything. Just remember this: A nurse can help a CNA all day and night long but a CNA can't help the nurse with her work when he/she gets behind. Soon you'll be a nurse and know exactly what I'm talking about.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123