Thread: testtaking tips,study tips, schoosurvival tips!!!!

testtaking tips,study tips, schoosurvival tips!!!!

PWEEEZE HELP ME! so desperate to pass my school exams... i seem not to get the question as i always barely pass them... the exam questions were in an NCLEX format... when i study it makes sense.. but when i analyze the questions, i still can't pick the right answer... i got two 64 over 100 for two exams... im so depressed coz i studied my ass off and still did poorly...

i have books from study tips, test taking workshops... and have a study partner.. sought advice from my professor! did those index cards for medications, diagnosis... i still feel im doing something wrong... and still not doin any improvement..

pleeze, help me make sense of this all...

im doing fundamentals of nursing.. our topic is gonna be in pharmacology.. any help is welcomed...

PWEEZE< PWEEZE< PWEEZE!!!!

Re: testtaking tips,study tips, schoosurvival tips!!!!

aileen how did you used to do on tests back in high school? Did you ever have any problem with text anxiety by any chance? I have some study tips from other nursing students on the site (check the resources at http://medi-smart.com/student.htm ), but it sounds to me like you need someone to talk with &amp; help you relax a little more than more tips on how to study. Am I right or am I off base about that? Are you feeling really stressed out before the tests?

I am only stressing out because I have a grade of D on the last 2 exams I had. And the course passing grade is C.

RN is my third degree, I have bachelors in Social Science and Human Resource Management and I would say I was an A student then. I have been good in class as I have a GPA of 3.5, but after this exams I feel so lost and can't seem t o figure out what I am doing wrong? And need to reevaluate or get new study strategy coz what I have been doing before that worked is not working now.

I actually was calm before the exam, we had a test anxiety workshop before our exam! I have my good sleep, I did pilates the day before the exam, ate my protein, guess what, no change! still a D.

so I need to find something that works for me, coz I know my tests are not detail and recall type.. more like an NCLEX analysis and application questions type. But i seem to keep on anayzing it wrong. I feel so bad about myself and feel so stupid really.

Outside stress, I have not really detected it. I'm 25, have a 2 year old child, But I am not stressed at home as my husband does every chores possible now. I only work perdiem at a Hospital as a Medical Admin, so I'm sure I got no stress there.

So help!

aileen, you sound like me...I'm not a good test taker..don't knwo what the answer is for you but I found taking sample questions of the sort they gave helped me. They use the format they do because that prepares you for boards...I didn't have that advantage as my diploma program didn't use that format. How do you study? What works for you? Everyone is different and they learn differently, do you understand the concepts? Are you readin gto much into the questions? Just try taking them at face value and don't overanalyze.
    Good luck

aileen, you said, "when i study it makes sense.. but when i analyze the questions, i still can't pick the right answer."

Mercynurse is right- the tests are in the NCLEX format in order to help you prepare later on to succeed on the NCLEX. From your comment above it sounds like you feel ok about how well you understand the nursing process when you study, but then you're taking the exam and rather than go with your gut feeling about what you think would be right in a given situation you analyze the question and go with the wrong answers instead.

Try going with what you believe would be the right response based on what you've learned in class and not overanalyzing the test questions and see how you do then! Good luck &amp; let us know how you do on the next test ok?

That's exactly what happened to me. I did really good on everything else except for those darn tests that were in the NCLEX format. Let me know what helps you. How are you doing now on your tests?

Sherry J
    Knoxville, TN

I have taken the Texas NCLEX-LPN exam 3 times and failed..I am at my wits end and just feel like giving up! I know I don't want to do that since I sacrificed sooooo much for nursing school. It seems like the test is almost "too easy!" I know that sounds crazy, but I have had many conversations with other nurses and I DO KNOW MY NURSING (not everything of course) but I just can't seem to pass the NCLEX...ANY IDEAS WOLD HELPP..

HELPPPPPPPPPP,,
    Stacey

the questions are usually simple, base you answers on the given facts. I know I would want to know more in the real world but these tests are given from what you are taught in school. The real world will never be that simple. I passed the LPN test and the RN test the first time, but I do recall that the questions are simple and I had to keep myself from reading more into it. and remember that you are thinking from a nursing view/ nursing care planning, nursing diagnosis, that said think side effects/reactions/precautions/nursing interventions and outcomes for pharmagology. It is difficult at first to link what you have learned to applying that knowledge. I went to LPN school with a wonderful A student but on the floor she could not bring it all together and she had a terrible time. and there were the students that were fantastic on the floor but did lousy in class. I totally enjoyed both programs and never studied for the NCLEX.. msstacy have you taken your test yet?