Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: problem?

problem?

OK I'll be the first!!
    Have a question for all of you out there....
    I've worked all over the east coast and some in the mid-west, Texas is the first place I've been where they don't have a program of any sort (that I can find out about) where diabetic patients can get needle boxes and take them back for disposal!!
    Am I worng? They just use any kind of hard container, like a bleach bottle, and throw it in the regular trash when it's full...does anyone else see a problem with this??
    I think I'm going to use this issue as my masters project!!

Re: problem?

wow, that is scary.

I have worked in 5 states and I have never heard of any program in any of those states that do that. I'm currently in PA and there is nothing statewide here in re: to that. No local programs that I have come across either. I think that would be an excellent project.

The easiest way to find out would be to call a local Texas Pharmacy or supply house that sells Insulin Syringes.

If they sell them, they have to give advice on how to dispose of them as well.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursinghumor.com

Member Extraordinaire

we do the same thing in Indiana and KY. Use any hard containter and put it in the regular trash. When I did home health in KY I did carry a sharps box for my own sharps that the hospital disposed of when full. But when a patient was on some IV therapy or anything requiring sharps the company they got their equipment from had to supply the sharps container and that company got rid of it. But insulin syringes went to the trash. We did suggest duct tape on top incase that would come off.

Hmmmm here is some input from a diabetic nurse.... I use milk jugs most of the time for my disposed syringes. I also recap and break the end off of mine so they dont fill as fast. I have talked with my nurse manager and they allow me to use their sharps comtainers at work to dispose of the use needle tips. Might talk with the hospital CNO's in your areas to see if they might be willing to provide this service for diabetic patients in the areas?

Sean Wolff

I called Walgreens pharmacy for their take. They said, "Put it in regular trash." Hmmmmmmm, I give my dog shots then put the syringes in a sharps container I purchased. I bring the container to work and get rid of it. Think on the scare the trash man would get If he got stuck.

Now, If the trash man got stuck, and it is proven where it came from. If the needle user had HIV, HEP-C or B, Can this lead to tort or criminal negligence.

This is a good question. I am going to check with my state board of hearth for Arkansas.

I had to give each of my daughters injections as they were growing up... they are 8 years apart, and in both instances, i was told to use an old coffee can to dispose of the needles (has to be puncture resistant, remember?) and then just throw them in the trash... interesting question regarding the trash guy!

Anonymous

Love your little ditty at the end of your post..LOLLL I need a true friend..LOLLL

WR,,, three commas for Becca

A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and sings it back to you when you have forgotten how it goes.

[ QUOTE ]
    WanderingRN said:
    Love your little ditty at the end of your post..LOLLL I need a true friend..LOLLL

"any friend can forgive you for committing murder...
    a true friend will help you bury the body!!!"

[/ QUOTE ]
    Why, did you have someone terminated

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast