Thread: Help Writing a Book/Guide

Help Writing a Book/Guide

Hi,
    I’m trying to write a book/guide for the family members of patients in hospitals.

I would like to concentrate on the things that these relatives need to do to make sure that the patient gets the best care possible.

If answering, please try to imagine that the patient is a relative of yours, and try to imagine what are the things that you would do to ensure the best possible medical care. (any tips would be greatly appreciated).

Also, I would like to know if you could give ideas on what is the best way for these family members to relate to you and to the doctors. I would like reading about what do you think is the best way for them to feel involved with the process while making your job easier.

I would appreciate any help I can get; the more information the better.

If you help me with some input and would like to receive a copy once I’m done, please let me know and I’ll send you a free copy.

Thank you

Igor Buces
    patientcare@terra.com

Re: Help Writing a Book/Guide

Go to the ANA.org site, and then check out their Book Store link. You can contact them about your project, and even review other works.

Hi Igor,
    I think that each facility is goin gto have particular items for that location.

However, there are 2 things that no matter where I've worked it always helps if the families do...
    1. Appoint a family spokesperson. That person should be the one to receive information regarding the patient and give it to the rest of the family. It's much easier to give info to one person. Not have family memebers form all ove rthe country calling.
    I know not all families get along and this can be difficult. However, if I'm caring for a patient and get 25 calls during my shift (and that's not exagerating) regarding the patient I'm caring for...that's a lot of time that I could be spending with that patient instead of explaining the same thing over to incividual family members.
    If they are in for an extended time or are very ill, set up family conferences weekly or whenever is necessary.

2. Write down information....if they want to ask questions or give information about the patient, they should keep a running list. A small notebook works well.
    That way they remember.
    If they think of questions when they are @ home, when the doc comes in and starts giving info...they forget what they wanted to ask. If it's written, then they remember. If they are the family spokesperson, when other members ask ques. they should write them down also so that they can provide the informatin to the person who asked.
    Hope this helps...
    Mercynurse

Thanks for your help.
    I will definetely check the site and include the tips you have given me.
    If you have more ideas please let me know.
    Igor Buces
    patientcare@terra.com